Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Math Help - valid statement or not?

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    117

    valid statement or not?

    I have to determine whether the statement below is valid or not:

    A convertible car is fun to drive. Isaac's car is not a convertible. Therefore, Isaac's car is not fun to drive.

    My answer is that according to modus tollens this statement is valid. Is this right?

    p -> q
    ~q
    -------
    ~p
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRekz View Post
    I have to determine whether the statement below is valid or not:

    A convertible car is fun to drive. Isaac's car is not a convertible. Therefore, Isaac's car is not fun to drive.

    My answer is that according to modus tollens this statement is valid. Is this right?

    p -> q
    ~q
    -------
    ~p
    it's been a while since I did logic (an introductory course), so let's see. if "therefore" can be translated as "this implies" then the statement is valid. otherwise, i don't think so.

    remember that P \implies Q \Longleftrightarrow \left( \sim Q \right) \implies \left( \sim P \right)

    which makes your calculations valid
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Member
    Joined
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    117
    so my answer is correct right by saying that this is valid, but i have to change

    ~p->~q
    ~q
    -------
    therefore ~p is true

    right??
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRekz View Post
    so my answer is correct right by saying that this is valid, but i have to change

    ~p->~q
    ~q
    -------
    therefore ~p is true

    right??
    yes, i would say so. if th implication is true and the last statement is true, then the first one must be true for the implication to be true. there was one other thing bothering me though

    EDIT: no it should be ~q -> ~p
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jun 2007
    From
    el paso, TX
    Posts
    30
    i would not interpret it as an if and only if, id sa its (P->Q) ->(~P->~Q) which is not a valid statement. And if you think about it intuitively, just because a car isnt a convertibe does not mean it cant be fun to drive, it would be valid to say if its not fun to drive then its not a convertible, which is contraposition
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Member
    Joined
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    117
    sorry for the typo! thanks

    and I have one more question that I am not sure of,

    Quincy likes all action movies. Quincy likes the movie Eight Men Out. Therefore, Eight Men Out is an action movie.

    This statement is not valid right? It's some kind of fallacy affirming the conclusion.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Member
    Joined
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaggoodly View Post
    i would not interpret it as an if and only if, id sa its (P->Q) ->(~P->~Q) which is not a valid statement. And if you think about it intuitively, just because a car isnt a convertibe does not mean it cant be fun to drive, it would be valid to say if its not fun to drive then its not a convertible, which is contraposition

    so you mean that this is an invalid statement? If I think about it intuitively, your point makes sense. But how do I proof it using logical statements.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaggoodly View Post
    i would not interpret it as an if and only if, id sa its (P->Q) ->(~P->~Q) which is not a valid statement. And if you think about it intuitively, just because a car isnt a convertibe does not mean it cant be fun to drive, it would be valid to say if its not fun to drive then its not a convertible, which is contraposition
    that was the problem i had with the statement. there could be other types of cars that are fun to drive as well, and Isaac's car could be one of those.

    i used if and only if because the statements are equivalent, not because i was interpreting the question like that i should have said maybe, P \implies Q \equiv \sim Q \implies \sim P
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRekz View Post
    sorry for the typo! thanks

    and I have one more question that I am not sure of,

    Quincy likes all action movies. Quincy likes the movie Eight Men Out. Therefore, Eight Men Out is an action movie.

    This statement is not valid right? It's some kind of fallacy affirming the conclusion.
    right, we have the same situation here. what if Quincy also likes all comedies (which they neglected to tell us) and Eight Men out was a comedy, then Quincy would like it, even though it's not an action movie. so we see that the statement is invalid
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    Member
    Joined
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    117
    well I think that this statement can be converted to p-->q because it says nothing about if and only if
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #11
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRekz View Post
    well I think that this statement can be converted to p-->q because it says nothing about if and only if
    yes, "only" is the word missing that would make these statements valid. if they had said, "only convertibles are fun to drive" and "Quincy only likes action movies" then the two statements would be valid
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  12. #12
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,398
    Thanks
    1481
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRekz View Post
    A convertible car is fun to drive. Isaac's car is not a convertible. Therefore, Isaac's car is not fun to drive.
    First my I suggest that you use letters that have something to do with the statements. C is convertible; F is fund to drive.
    Now the argument is:
    \begin{array}{l}<br />
 C \Rightarrow F \\ <br />
  \sim C \\ <br />
  \therefore \sim F \\ <br />
 \end{array}

    Clearly that is an invalid argument.
    The is the fallacy of denying the hypotheses.

    May I also suggest that if we are not sure of the question, please wait to answer.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  13. #13
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    First my I suggest that you use letters that have something to do with the statements. C is convertible; F is fund to drive.
    Now the argument is:
    \begin{array}{l}<br />
 C \Rightarrow F \\ <br />
  \sim C \\ <br />
  \therefore \sim F \\ <br />
 \end{array}

    Clearly that is an invalid argument.
    The is the fallacy of denying the hypotheses.
    I see. It's all so simple now you are the man, Plato!

    May I also suggest that if we are not sure of the question, please wait to answer.
    Yes sir. Boredom makes you jumpy i guess
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  14. #14
    Member
    Joined
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    First my I suggest that you use letters that have something to do with the statements. C is convertible; F is fund to drive.
    Now the argument is:
    \begin{array}{l}<br />
 C \Rightarrow F \\ <br />
  \sim C \\ <br />
  \therefore \sim F \\ <br />
 \end{array}

    Clearly that is an invalid argument.
    The is the fallacy of denying the hypotheses.

    May I also suggest that if we are not sure of the question, please wait to answer.
    thanks plato that clears up!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  15. #15
    Super Member

    Joined
    May 2006
    From
    Lexington, MA (USA)
    Posts
    11,548
    Thanks
    541
    Hello, TheRekz!

    \
    Determine whether the argument below is valid or not:

    A convertible car is fun to drive.
    Isaac's car is not a convertible.
    Therefore, Isaac's car is not fun to drive.

    My answer is that according to modus tollens this statement is valid. Is this right?

    p -> q
    ~q
    -------
    ~p

    . . . sorry, no

    Let p: \text{ the car is a convertible}
    Let q: \text{ the car is fun to drive}

    "A convertible car is fun to drive"
    . . If the car is a convertible, then the car is fun to drive": . p \rightarrow q

    "Isaac's car is not a convertible": . \sim p

    Therefore, "Isaac's car is not fun to drive": . \sim q


    The arguement has the form: . \begin{array}{c}p \rightarrow q \\ \sim p \\ ---- \\<br />
\therefore \;\sim q \end{array}

    Not valid . . . fallacy of the inverse.

    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. is a≡b still valid??
    Posted in the Number Theory Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 13th 2010, 06:36 PM
  2. valid,non valid arguments
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 8th 2009, 06:12 PM
  3. Is this valid?
    Posted in the Number Theory Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 7th 2009, 05:38 AM
  4. Is this valid?
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 31st 2009, 04:28 PM
  5. is this argument valid?
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 12th 2008, 10:02 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum