Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - Help creating a function diagram

  1. #1
    Newbie katieah's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2010
    From
    Virginia
    Posts
    6

    Question Help creating a function diagram

    My name is Katie.
    I'm working with a book called Discrete Mathematics: Mathematical Reasoning and Proof with Puzzles, Patterns and Games by Doug Ensley. This chapter is entitled Functions and Relations and this section is focusing on iterated function sequences.

    They want me to give a complete diagram for the function f below:

    function f : {1, 2, 3, ... 32} --> {1, 2, 3, ... 32} given by

    f(x) = 11 + [x/3]

    (In the book, the "[]" brackets are actually half brackets that look like upside down L's)

    I don't even know what kind of diagram they mean or how to do it. If anyone could help me, that would be great. Thank you in advance.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,607
    Thanks
    1574
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by katieah View Post
    They want me to give a complete diagram for the function f below:
    function f : {1, 2, 3, ... 32} --> {1, 2, 3, ... 32} given by
    f(x) = 11 + [x/3]
    The function f(x) = 11 + \left\lceil {\frac{x}{3}} \right\rceil involves the ceiling function(the least integer greater or equal to the number).
    For some examples: f(1)=12,~f(15)=16~\&~f(32)=22.
    I would guess that the text simply wants you to draw the graph.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie katieah's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2010
    From
    Virginia
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    The function f(x) = 11 + \left\lceil {\frac{x}{3}} \right\rceil involves the ceiling function(the least integer greater or equal to the number).
    For some examples: f(1)=12,~f(15)=16~\&~f(32)=22.
    I would guess that the text simply wants you to draw the graph.
    Thank you for your post! Okay I think I understand that. But how do you get f(1)=12? I think I'll be able to draw the graph once I understand how you get the series.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,607
    Thanks
    1574
    Awards
    1
    Here are more examples.
    \left\lceil {\frac{1}<br />
{3}} \right\rceil  = 1,~\left\lceil {\frac{3}<br />
{3}} \right\rceil  = 1,~\left\lceil {\frac{4}<br />
{3}} \right\rceil  = 2,~\left\lceil {\frac{6}<br />
{3}} \right\rceil  = 2,~\left\lceil {\frac{8}<br />
{3}} \right\rceil  = 3
    The next integer.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie katieah's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2010
    From
    Virginia
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    Here are more examples.
    \left\lceil {\frac{1}<br />
{3}} \right\rceil  = 1,~\left\lceil {\frac{3}<br />
{3}} \right\rceil  = 1,~\left\lceil {\frac{4}<br />
{3}} \right\rceil  = 2,~\left\lceil {\frac{6}<br />
{3}} \right\rceil  = 2,~\left\lceil {\frac{8}<br />
{3}} \right\rceil  = 3
    The next integer.
    Ohh! Now it makes sense! Thank you so much!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Creating a ten step log scale function
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 15th 2011, 04:19 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 7th 2010, 04:47 AM
  3. Creating Matlab Median Function
    Posted in the Math Software Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: October 27th 2009, 03:22 PM
  4. Need help creating a Venn Diagram
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 30th 2009, 06:36 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 11th 2007, 10:12 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum