Results 1 to 14 of 14

Math Help - Constructing a truth table from a giving statement

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    21

    Constructing a truth table from a giving statement

    Hello, I am currently trying to construct a truth table for the giving statement. p v q

    I am not sure how to format it in this post but this is what I have so far.

    p q | p v q

    T T | F
    F T | F
    T F | T
    F F | F

    The "T" means true and the "F" means False.

    Is this truth table correct or am I entirely wrong?

    cheers.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    No one in Particular VonNemo19's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    From
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    1,823
    Quote Originally Posted by ipatch View Post
    Hello, I am currently trying to construct a truth table for the giving statement. p v q

    I am not sure how to format it in this post but this is what I have so far.

    p q | p v q How come there is no operator between pq ? do you mean that both p and q are true? Or what? and what do mean by |? Can you try to put forth the argument in english?

    T T | F
    F T | F
    T F | T
    F F | F

    The "T" means true and the "F" means False.

    Is this truth table correct or am I entirely wrong?

    cheers.
    .
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    21

    Problem

    All the problem in the text says is "construct a truth table for the given statement.

    "p v q" This is is the statement it gives me, and it wants a truth

    table from it.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    No one in Particular VonNemo19's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    From
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    1,823
    Quote Originally Posted by ipatch View Post
    All the problem in the text says is "construct a truth table for the given statement.

    "p v q" This is is the statement it gives me, and it wants a truth

    table from it.
    So the excercise is to see when the weddge holds true. Note that when we have n simple statements (in this case we have 2: p and q) that the number of lines that are necessary in the truth table are L=2^n. Also note that the \neg reverses the truth value. So,

    p\vee\neg{q}

    TTFT
    TTTF
    FFFT
    FTTF
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,559
    Thanks
    785
    I understand the OP's approach, but I am not sure I understand VonNemo's remarks. The truth table for p\lor\neg q must indeed have the following form:

    Code:
    p q | p \/ (not q)
    ----+-------------
    T T |  ?
    F T |  ?
    T F |  ?
    F F |  ?
    
    (Though I prefer the following order of the first two columns going down: F F, F T, T F, T T. If T is replaced by 1 and F by 0, we get 00, 01, 10, 11, which in binary notation means 0, 1, 2, 3. Following this systems helps prevent missing or repeated rows.)

    However, the OP's truth values in the last column are incorrect. For example, when p = T and q = T, p\lor\neg q is T because disjunction is true if at least one of the arguments (in this case, p) is true.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by VonNemo19 View Post
    So the excercise is to see when the weddge holds true. Note that when we have n simple statements (in this case we have 2: p and q) that the number of lines that are necessary in the truth table are L=2^n. Also note that the \neg reverses the truth value. So,

    p\vee\neg{q}

    TTFT
    TTTF
    FFFT
    FTTF

    I get what your saying about the representing negation in all, but I just realized today that there are going to be four columns setup for this statement.

    p \/ q

    is going to be setup like this

    p q q p \/ q

    T T F T
    T F T T
    F T F F
    F F T T

    I believe this is what I put down for the problem.


    Also here is a good primer example for the problem stated in the thread.

    p \/ q

    p q p \/ q

    T T T
    T F T
    F T T
    F F F

    Basically the "or" ( \/ ) can include either or, and both.

    Cheers.
    Last edited by ipatch; January 22nd 2010 at 08:19 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Super Member

    Joined
    May 2006
    From
    Lexington, MA (USA)
    Posts
    11,866
    Thanks
    745
    Hello, ipatch!

    Construct a truth table for: . p\: \vee \sim q

    . . \begin{array}{c|c||ccc}<br />
p & q & p & \vee & \sim q \\ \hline<br />
T & T & T & {\color{red}T} & F \\<br />
F & T & F & {\color{red}F} & F \\\<br />
T & F & T & {\color{red}T} & T \\<br />
F & F & F & {\color{red}T} & T <br />
\end{array}

    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    No one in Particular VonNemo19's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    From
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    1,823
    Quote Originally Posted by emakarov View Post
    I understand the OP's approach, but I am not sure I understand VonNemo's remarks. .
    What is it that you do not understand?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Soroban View Post
    Hello, ipatch!


    . . \begin{array}{c|c||ccc}<br />
p & q & p & \vee & \sim q \\ \hline<br />
T & T & T & {\color{red}T} & F \\<br />
F & T & F & {\color{red}F} & F \\\<br />
T & F & T & {\color{red}T} & T \\<br />
F & F & F & {\color{red}T} & T <br />
\end{array}


    not sure what you mean by using the ~

    i know means take the negation of a statement.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    No one in Particular VonNemo19's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    From
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    1,823
    Quote Originally Posted by ipatch View Post
    not sure what you mean by using the ~

    i know means take the negation of a statement.
    They mean the same thing. Are you OK with how to construct a truth table now, or do you have other questions?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #11
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    21
    yeah i am getting better with the truth tables now. thanks for the help.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  12. #12
    MHF Contributor
    Grandad's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    From
    South Coast of England
    Posts
    2,570
    Thanks
    1
    Hello ipatch

    You might find these notes that I wrote for Wikibooks useful. There's a step-by-step guide to creating truth tables, with worked examples and exercises with answers. If you have any questions about them, post them on this Forum.

    Grandad
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  13. #13
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,242
    Thanks
    1795
    Quote Originally Posted by VonNemo19 View Post
    What is it that you do not understand?
    Your remarks
    p q | p v q How come there is no operator between pq ? do you mean that both p and q are true?
    after mistaking the p and q heading the first two columns in the truth table for part of the formula.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  14. #14
    No one in Particular VonNemo19's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    From
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    1,823
    Quote Originally Posted by HallsofIvy View Post
    Your remarks after mistaking the p and q heading the first two columns in the truth table for part of the formula.
    I don't feel that I made a mistake anywhere. How can asking for clarification be considered as a mistake? The notation in logic varies very much. This is evidenced by post nine.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. How do I determine truth value of a statement?
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 25th 2011, 01:24 PM
  2. Constructing truth tables?
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 6th 2011, 08:56 AM
  3. Constructing a truth table using the connective "not"
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: December 22nd 2010, 05:48 PM
  4. Truth value of the statement
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 30th 2008, 08:59 AM
  5. if then statement. truth table.
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 30th 2008, 09:42 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum