Results 1 to 4 of 4

Math Help - Identify liar/truthful

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3

    Identify liar/truthful

    Hi,
    These are the problems I found in a book. I hope someone can help me with this:

    1. In an island there are two types of people: liars and truth tellers. When asked a yes/no question, a truth teller always tells the truth and a liar always lies. Then how to ask a single question, that would distinguish between them?

    The answer given was ask a question:

    "If you are a truth teller than how would you answer the question, 'Are you a liar'?"

    The truthful will answer no. And as the truthful has replied yes the liar would reply yes.

    My question, independent of the answer of truthful, how does the liar think? What is the response of 'If you are a truth teller' to him ie how does he take the 'if' part into account?

    2. Suppose two person - a liar and a truthful - comes to you. Say 1 is A and another is B. Then how to ask a single yes/no question to A to determine whether B is a liar or truthful?

    3. Now there are 3 sorts of people: liars, truthful and semi-truthful (part time liar). How to ask a single question to find the type of person?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Member
    Joined
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by amishera View Post
    Hi,
    These are the problems I found in a book. I hope someone can help me with this:

    1. In an island there are two types of people: liars and truth tellers. When asked a yes/no question, a truth teller always tells the truth and a liar always lies. Then how to ask a single question, that would distinguish between them?

    The answer given was ask a question:

    "If you are a truth teller than how would you answer the question, 'Are you a liar'?"

    The truthful will answer no. And as the truthful has replied yes the liar would reply yes.

    My question, independent of the answer of truthful, how does the liar think? What is the response of 'If you are a truth teller' to him ie how does he take the 'if' part into account?
    i take this to mean that a liar is not a truth teller. so when a liar is asked the question "if you are a truth teller then how would you answer the question, 'Are you a liar'?", the liar would answer yes, because the correct answer to that question is no.

    Quote Originally Posted by amishera View Post
    2. Suppose two person - a liar and a truthful - comes to you. Say 1 is A and another is B. Then how to ask a single yes/no question to A to determine whether B is a liar or truthful?
    "if B is a liar, would he tell the truth?" if A answers no, he is telling the truth, so B is the liar, if he answers yes, he is lying, so B is the truth teller.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9

    unnecessary complication

    comment on answer to 2nd question:
    i don't understand the logic behind introducing if's and other conjunctions. when it is given that one is truthful and other is not, a simple question about universal truth like "does sun rise in east" would reveal the fact
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Member
    Joined
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by integerfan View Post
    comment on answer to 2nd question:
    i don't understand the logic behind introducing if's and other conjunctions. when it is given that one is truthful and other is not, a simple question about universal truth like "does sun rise in east" would reveal the fact
    i did think about that. however, because question (1) involved asking a question about honesty, i just figured that the answer to question (2) had to be of similar form.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Liar Paradox
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 22nd 2009, 09:10 PM
  2. Identify Z_3 x Z_m
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 5th 2009, 02:02 PM
  3. Can someone identify this function?
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 12th 2009, 01:31 AM
  4. can someone identify this
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 24th 2008, 02:11 PM
  5. Liar/Truth Question
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 28th 2006, 05:52 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum