Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25
Like Tree2Thanks

Math Help - Writing propositions using connectives and quantifiers

  1. #16
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,931
    Thanks
    782

    Re: Writing propositions using connectives and quantifiers

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelH View Post
    Would I need to define Q at all?
    Yes. Q is exactly what I wrote: Q(x,y) = "there is a real number between x and y with the property P". If you already created notation for that, then you did define Q and you should replace Q with the notation you created. Q is simply a placeholder for another expression.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #17
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    From
    OH
    Posts
    20

    Re: Writing propositions using connectives and quantifiers

    Quote Originally Posted by SlipEternal View Post
    Yes. Q is exactly what I wrote: Q(x,y) = "there is a real number between x and y with the property P". If you already created notation for that, then you did define Q and you should replace Q with the notation you created. Q is simply a placeholder for another expression.
    Thanks for clearing that up!

    Sorry to be a pain but I'm also attempting another question to ensure I get this concept around my head. It states that:

    For every natural number n, if n has the property P, then so does every smaller natural number

    So I have started off with just trying to get the logic down: so it is saying that for all n in N, P(n) implies that P(n) occurs for all numbers less than n. Although this does not makes sense to me since the set is "EVERY natural number" so how is there a smaller natural number? This is the sort of logic that I really struggle with.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #18
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,931
    Thanks
    782

    Re: Writing propositions using connectives and quantifiers

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelH View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up!

    Sorry to be a pain but I'm also attempting another question to ensure I get this concept around my head. It states that:

    For every natural number n, if n has the property P, then so does every smaller natural number

    So I have started off with just trying to get the logic down: so it is saying that for all n in N, P(n) implies that P(n) occurs for all numbers less than n. Although this does not makes sense to me since the set is "EVERY natural number" so how is there a smaller natural number? This is the sort of logic that I really struggle with.
    It is saying that if n has the property P, then 1 has the property, 2 has the property, ..., n-2 has the property, and n-1 has the property. Those are all of the natural numbers that are smaller than n. So, for every natural number, check to see if it has the property. If it does, then every natural number less than that also has the same property.

    Now, are you looking for a mathematical expression that states what you are given? Or could it be any logically equivalent expression?

    For example: "For all natural numbers m and n, if m is less than n and n has the property p, then m has the property p." That is logically equivalent to the statement, "For every natural number n, if n has the property P, then so does every smaller natural number"
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #19
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    From
    OH
    Posts
    20

    Re: Writing propositions using connectives and quantifiers

    Quote Originally Posted by SlipEternal View Post
    It is saying that if n has the property P, then 1 has the property, 2 has the property, ..., n-2 has the property, and n-1 has the property. Those are all of the natural numbers that are smaller than n. So, for every natural number, check to see if it has the property. If it does, then every natural number less than that also has the same property.

    Now, are you looking for a mathematical expression that states what you are given? Or could it be any logically equivalent expression?

    For example: "For all natural numbers m and n, if m is less than n and n has the property p, then m has the property p." That is logically equivalent to the statement, "For every natural number n, if n has the property P, then so does every smaller natural number"
    Ok, I am looking to write the proposition using connectives and quantifiers.

    Could I write it as:

    (∀n ∈ N)(∀m ∈ N)((m<n) ∧ P(n)) ---> P(m))
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #20
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,931
    Thanks
    782

    Re: Writing propositions using connectives and quantifiers

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelH View Post
    Ok, I am looking to write the proposition using connectives and quantifiers.

    Could I write it as:

    (∀n ∈ N)(∀m ∈ N)((m<n) ∧ P(n)) ---> P(m))
    I gave you a logically equivalent expression. You gave me a correct mathematical statement for the expression I gave, but it is not the same expression you were originally given. Will your professor accept a logically equivalent expression? If so, then that is perfect. Otherwise, see if you can write something closer to the original proposition.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #21
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    From
    OH
    Posts
    20

    Re: Writing propositions using connectives and quantifiers

    Quote Originally Posted by SlipEternal View Post
    I gave you a logically equivalent expression. You gave me a correct mathematical statement for the expression I gave, but it is not the same expression you were originally given. Will your professor accept a logically equivalent expression?
    No I don't think so. I have to write out mathematical statement for the original statement.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #22
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,931
    Thanks
    782

    Re: Writing propositions using connectives and quantifiers

    So, try the original proposition. You will wind up with nested conditionals.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #23
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2013
    From
    OH
    Posts
    20

    Re: Writing propositions using connectives and quantifiers

    Quote Originally Posted by SlipEternal View Post
    So, try the original proposition. You will wind up with nested conditionals.
    Hmmm I am not sure how to express it without introducing m with the equivalent statement, that is the problem that I have.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #24
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,931
    Thanks
    782

    Re: Writing propositions using connectives and quantifiers

    (\forall n \in \mathbb{N})(P(n) \Rightarrow [(\forall m\in \mathbb{N})(m<n \Rightarrow P(m))])
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #25
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,820
    Thanks
    1711
    Awards
    1

    Re: Writing propositions using connectives and quantifiers

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelH View Post
    For every natural number n, if n has the property P, then so does every smaller natural number.
    You can save yourself some trouble if you first setup some preliminaries.
    First specify the universe of discourse as \mathbb{N}.
    Next define predicate functions:
    P(n) means " n has property P".
    L(m,n) means that "m<n, m\text{ is less than }n".

    Now the translation of "For every natural number n, if n has the property P, then so does every smaller natural number."
    is \left( {\forall n} \right)\left( {\forall m} \right)\left[ {P(n) \wedge L(m,n) \to P(m)} \right].

    You see there is no need to state that these natural numbers because that is our universe.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Propositions Involving Quantifiers
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 12th 2013, 08:52 AM
  2. [SOLVED] set of connectives
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 14th 2011, 11:39 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 13th 2010, 03:41 AM
  4. Logic Connectives
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 29th 2009, 09:57 PM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 26th 2009, 08:04 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum