Results 1 to 12 of 12

Math Help - a question about the cantor set

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10

    a question about the cantor set

    Please give a real-valued function f on the cantor set C in [0,1]
    satisfies
    there doesn't exist a sequence of subsets {Ek}k=1,2,...
    of C
    such that
    (1)the untion of Ek is C;
    (2)the restriction of f to every set Ek is continuous on Ek.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Joined
    May 2010
    From
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    274
    Thanks
    1

    Re: a question about the cantor set

    Did you get an answer to this?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10

    Re: a question about the cantor set

    Quote Originally Posted by ojones View Post
    Did you get an answer to this?
    No,I didn't.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,201
    Thanks
    1789

    Re: a question about the cantor set

    What about "f(x)= 1 if x is an irrational number in the Cantor set and f(x)= -1 if x is a rational number in the Cantor set."
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Senior Member Tinyboss's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    433

    Re: a question about the cantor set

    Quote Originally Posted by HallsofIvy View Post
    What about "f(x)= 1 if x is an irrational number in the Cantor set and f(x)= -1 if x is a rational number in the Cantor set."
    That function is continuous on the inverse image of 1 and the inverse image of -1, and the union of those two sets is C. No function with countable image can satisfy the condition.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Joined
    May 2010
    From
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    274
    Thanks
    1

    Re: a question about the cantor set

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinyboss View Post
    That function is continuous on the inverse image of 1 and the inverse image of -1, and the union of those two sets is C. No function with countable image can satisfy the condition.
    This doesn't make sense; aren't you claiming that f satisfies the condtions?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Senior Member Tinyboss's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    433

    Re: a question about the cantor set

    Quote Originally Posted by ojones View Post
    This doesn't make sense; aren't you claiming that f satisfies the condtions?
    If I read the question correctly, there should not exist a sequence of subsets satisfying conditions 1 and 2. For the function Hallsofivy gave, the sequence (S,T,T,T,...) satisfies the conditions, where S and T are the inverse images of 1 and -1 respectively.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Joined
    May 2010
    From
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    274
    Thanks
    1

    Re: a question about the cantor set

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinyboss View Post
    If I read the question correctly, there should not exist a sequence of subsets satisfying conditions 1 and 2. For the function Hallsofivy gave, the sequence (S,T,T,T,...) satisfies the conditions, where S and T are the inverse images of 1 and -1 respectively.
    But you also say that "No function with countable image can satisfy the condition." I consider finite sets countable.

    In any event, the statement says that no such sequence exists so something is wrong somewhere.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    MHF Contributor
    Opalg's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2007
    From
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    4,041
    Thanks
    7

    Re: a question about the cantor set

    Quote Originally Posted by mathabc View Post
    Please give a real-valued function f on the cantor set C in [0,1]
    satisfies
    there doesn't exist a sequence of subsets {Ek}k=1,2,...
    of C
    such that
    (1)the union of Ek is C;
    (2)the restriction of f to every set Ek is continuous on Ek.
    We are told nothing about these sets E_k, so we cannot assume any topological or measure-theoretic properties for them. Therefore it seems that any construction must rely on counting and cardinality.

    The Cantor set has the cardinality of the continuum, so there exists a bijective mapping x\mapsto(f(x),\phi(x)) from C to the unit square [0,1]x[0,1]. Thus I am defining the map f as the first coordinate of that bijection. Define an equivalence relation on C by x\sim y \;\Leftrightarrow\; f(x)=f(y). There are uncountably many equivalence classes, each containing uncountably many elements of C. Denote by [x] the equivalence class containing x.

    If C is the union of countably many sets E_k then at least one of those sets must have uncountable intersection with uncountably many equivalence classes, say E_k\cap[x] is uncountable for all [x] in an uncountable set X of equivalence classes. I now want to say that there must be a point z\in E_k that is a limit point for at least two distinct sets E_k\cap[x] and E_k\cap[y], where [x] and [y] are in X. It will then follow that the restriction of f to E_k is discontinuous at z (because z is the limit of two sequences in E_k, on one of which f takes the constant value f(x), and on the other it takes the constant value f(y)). I don't have the energy to write out that last part of the argument in detail, but I am more or less convinced that it works.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    Super Member
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    From
    México
    Posts
    721

    Re: a question about the cantor set

    @Opalg: I think this question is closely related to this one, and if that's the case measure theory does indeed come strongly into play: The crucial part being if the OP would be working with Lebesgue measure or its completion, if the former then I'm not sure your argument would hold in general (at least not necessarily since there are continous non-Lebesgue measurable functions, and I don't think the Cantor set is devoid of non-measurable sets). Do you have any thoughts on this? (as you can see I haven't been able to answer said question)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #11
    MHF Contributor
    Opalg's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2007
    From
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    4,041
    Thanks
    7

    Re: a question about the cantor set

    Quote Originally Posted by Jose27 View Post
    @Opalg: I think this question is closely related to this one, and if that's the case measure theory does indeed come strongly into play: The crucial part being if the OP would be working with Lebesgue measure or its completion, if the former then I'm not sure your argument would hold in general (at least not necessarily since there are continous non-Lebesgue measurable functions, and I don't think the Cantor set is devoid of non-measurable sets). Do you have any thoughts on this? (as you can see I haven't been able to answer said question)
    I am no longer convinced that the reasoning in my previous comment is correct, in fact the argument in the final paragraph breaks down completely. But I still have the intuitive feeling that a continuous function on an arbitrary subset E of the unit interval cannot take each of uncountably many values uncountably often. I have not been following that other thread, but I don't see how measure theory can be relevant to this current thread, since the Cantor set and all its subsets have measure 0.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Joined
    May 2010
    From
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    274
    Thanks
    1

    Re: a question about the cantor set

    Quote Originally Posted by mathabc View Post
    Please give a real-valued function f on the cantor set C in [0,1]
    satisfies
    there doesn't exist a sequence of subsets {Ek}k=1,2,...
    of C
    such that
    (1)the untion of Ek is C;
    (2)the restriction of f to every set Ek is continuous on Ek.
    Where did you find this problem?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Integral Question with Cantor Set
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 9th 2011, 01:46 PM
  2. Question on the cantor space
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 11th 2010, 03:01 PM
  3. Cantor set question
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 28th 2009, 02:44 PM
  4. Cantor Set - quick question
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 9th 2009, 01:16 PM
  5. Cantor Set
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 29th 2007, 05:11 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum