Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - cauchy integral formula

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    364

    cauchy integral formula

    Eval

    \frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint\frac{e^{tz}}{(z^2+1)^2}dz if t>0 and C is the circle {|z|=3}

    Hmm...

    Am I suppose to parameterise something?

    I can write for example z(t)=3e^{it} then dz = 3i e^{it}dt and sub it back in, but that just makes it messy and complicated.

    Am I missing an easier way?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor Drexel28's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Berkeley, California
    Posts
    4,563
    Thanks
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion007 View Post
    Eval

    \frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint\frac{e^{tz}}{(z^2+1)^2}dz if t>0 and C is the circle {|z|=3}

    Hmm...

    Am I suppose to parameterise something?

    I can write for example z(t)=3e^{it} then dz = 3i e^{it}dt and sub it back in, but that just makes it messy and complicated.

    Am I missing an easier way?
    Do you know the Residue theorem? You're function has singularities at z=\pm i both of which lie in C. So, \oint_{C}f(z)dz=\underset{z= i}{\text{Res}}f(z)+\underset{z=- i}{\text{Res}}f(z)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    364
    Thanks, I considered that just now, but this question belongs to a section well-prior to covering the residue thm, in the CIF section. So I suppose it should be solvable using that...
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor Drexel28's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Berkeley, California
    Posts
    4,563
    Thanks
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion007 View Post
    Thanks, I considered that just now, but this question belongs to a section well-prior to covering the residue thm, in the CIF section. So I suppose it should be solvable using that...
    Ok, decompose your the denominator into (z-i)^2(z+i)^2 and decompose this using partial fractions and then from there apply Cauchy's integral theorem.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    364
    I get

    -\frac{t}{2} \cos t

    but the answer says: 1/2 (\sin t -t \cos t)

    for the partial fractions I got A = B = -1/4 e^{tz}

    so we have

    \frac{1}{2\pi i}<br />
\oint_C\frac{e^{tz}}{(z^2+1)^2}dz=<br />

    \frac{1}{2\pi i}<br />
 \left\{-\left(\oint_C\frac{e^{tz}/4}{(z+i)^2}\; dz +<br />
\oint_C\frac{e^{tz}/4}{(z-i)^2}\;dz\right)\right\}=

    -\frac{1}{2\pi i}2\pi i \frac{1}{4}(f'(-i)+f'(i)) where

    f(z)=e^{tz} and f'(z)=te^{tz}

    =-\frac{t}{4}(e^{-it}+e^{it})

    =-\frac{t}{4}(2\cos t)

    =-\frac{t}{2}\cos t

    Did I make a mistake?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor Drexel28's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    Berkeley, California
    Posts
    4,563
    Thanks
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion007 View Post
    I get

    -\frac{t}{2} \cos t

    but the answer says: 1/2 (\sin t -t \cos t)

    for the partial fractions I got A = B = -1/4 e^{tz}

    so we have

    \frac{1}{2\pi i}<br />
\oint_C\frac{e^{tz}}{(z^2+1)^2}dz=<br />

    \frac{1}{2\pi i}<br />
 \left\{-\left(\oint_C\frac{e^{tz}/4}{(z+i)^2}\; dz +<br />
\oint_C\frac{e^{tz}/4}{(z-i)^2}\;dz\right)\right\}=

    -\frac{1}{2\pi i}2\pi i \frac{1}{4}(f'(-i)+f'(i)) where

    f(z)=e^{tz} and f'(z)=te^{tz}

    =-\frac{t}{4}(e^{-it}+e^{it})

    =-\frac{t}{4}(2\cos t)

    =-\frac{t}{2}\cos t

    Did I make a mistake?
    I don't think you decomposed it correct.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    364
    ah yes! thanks!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Cauchy Integral Formula
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 16th 2011, 09:40 AM
  2. Cauchy Integral Formula
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 1st 2009, 12:55 PM
  3. [SOLVED] Line integral, Cauchy's integral formula
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 16th 2009, 12:50 PM
  4. [SOLVED] Line integral, Cauchy's integral formula
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 15th 2009, 02:28 PM
  5. Cauchy integral formula
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: May 10th 2009, 10:42 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum