Results 1 to 4 of 4

Math Help - urgent help in logarithm

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    43

    urgent help in logarithm

    Find all values of the logarithm of each of the following numbers and state in each case the principal value. Put your answer in the form a+ib.
    (a) -sqrt(
    3) + i
    this is what i done but dont know if correct and dont know how to continue so please help!

    log(-sqrt(3) + i )= Log(2) + i(-pi/6 + 2kpi)

    but what is the principal value and is it in the form of a + ib

    (b) e^i

    log(e^i)= i + i(2kpi) = i( 1+ 2kpi)
    ???
    and also what are the principal values and the form of a + ib
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by sandy View Post
    Find all values of the logarithm of each of the following numbers and state in each case the principal value. Put your answer in the form a+ib.


    (a) -sqrt(3) + i
    this is what i done but dont know if correct and dont know how to continue so please help!

    log(-sqrt(3) + i )= Log(2) + i(-pi/6 + 2kpi)

    but what is the principal value and is it in the form of a + ib

    (b) e^i

    log(e^i)= i + i(2kpi) = i( 1+ 2kpi)
    ???
    and also what are the principal values and the form of a + ib
    Principle value: k = 0.

    But you should be consulting your classnotes or textbook on this.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fantastic View Post
    Principle value: k = 0.

    But you should be consulting your classnotes or textbook on this.
    The lecturer didnt really explain this well and not clear lecture notes so is what i done correct and the only thing is that k=0 for both parts a) and b) ????????????
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by sandy View Post
    The lecturer didnt really explain this well and not clear lecture notes so is what i done correct and the only thing is that k=0 for both parts a) and b) ????????????
    Yes.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: July 18th 2011, 07:04 AM
  2. Urgent!!!help with attempted questions - urgent
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 28th 2010, 12:29 AM
  3. I need urgent urgent hel with this parabola question
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 14th 2008, 04:48 PM
  4. Logarithm Urgent
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 16th 2008, 12:31 AM
  5. Logarithm Problem URGENT!!!
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 30th 2006, 04:58 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum