Results 1 to 4 of 4

Math Help - [emergency]two Qs about mathematical analysis

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2

    Question [emergency]two Qs about mathematical analysis

    These are my bro's questions which are due on Thurs. Advanced thx for any help!

    1. the goal of this exercise is to define 2^x from first principle.
    Assume that 2^x is already defined when x=a/b is rational(e.g. as the ath power of the bth root of 2 when a,b>0), and that the usual rule 2^(x+y)=2^x * 2^y is valid for rational exponents. Let E(x)={2^r| r belongs to Q, r<x} (a) define 2^x=supE(x) and show that this is finite. (b) prove that 2^(x+y)=2^x * 2^y is valid for real exponents x,y.

    2.Using the fundamental theorem of calculus show that (a) the only differentiable functions on R satisfying f'(x)=0, for all x, are constant functions. (b) the only twice differentiable functions on R satisfying f ' '(x)=0 are linear functions i.e function f(x)=ax+b for constant a, b.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,649
    Thanks
    1597
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by elfenlied View Post
    These are my bro's questions which are due on Thurs. Advanced thx for any help!

    1. the goal of this exercise is to define 2^x from first principle.
    Assume that 2^x is already defined when x=a/b is rational(e.g. as the ath power of the bth root of 2 when a,b>0), and that the usual rule 2^(x+y)=2^x * 2^y is valid for rational exponents. Let E(x)={2^r| r belongs to Q, r<x} (a) define 2^x=supE(x) and show that this is finite. (b) prove that 2^(x+y)=2^x * 2^y is valid for real exponents x,y.

    2.Using the fundamental theorem of calculus show that (a) the only differentiable functions on R satisfying f'(x)=0, for all x, are constant functions. (b) the only twice differentiable functions on R satisfying f ' '(x)=0 are linear functions i.e function f(x)=ax+b for constant a, b.
    Who's problems are they? Yours?
    So what have you done to solve them?
    How can we help if we don't know that?

    BTW: This is not a homework service. It is a HELP site.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Plato View Post
    Who's problems are they? Yours?
    So what have you done to solve them?
    How can we help if we don't know that?

    BTW: This is not a homework service. It is a HELP site.
    they are my brother's Qs. im majored on CS rather than Math, so i can do nothing about these Qs. My brother just doesnt know where to start.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,649
    Thanks
    1597
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by elfenlied View Post
    they are my brother's Qs. im majored on CS rather than Math, so i can do nothing about these Qs. My brother just doesnt know where to start.
    So let your brother do his own posting.
    Why are you even involved?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Principles of Mathematical Analysis(Rudin)#3
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 15th 2009, 03:02 PM
  2. Princple of mathematical analysis, by Walter rudin. Need help....
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: March 19th 2009, 09:13 AM
  3. Principles of Mathematical Analysis - Ch2 Basic Topology
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 18th 2009, 03:27 PM
  4. mathematical analysis problem. please help.
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: January 2nd 2009, 03:09 PM
  5. Emergency!!
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: July 26th 2007, 06:54 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum