Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - Basis of the tangent space of unitary matrices

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    39

    Basis of the tangent space of unitary matrices

    U(n) is the group of all n x n unitary matrices.

    Say TEU(n) is the tangent space at the identity. (E just refers to "at the identity").

    For n = 2, how do i show that the following 2 x 2 matrices make a basis of TEU(2)?:

    s0 = (first row: i, 0 /second row:0 , i)

    s1 = (first row: i , 0 /second row:0, -i)

    s2 = (first row: 0,1 / second row: -1,0 )

    s3 = (first row:0 , i / second row: i , 0)

    Thanks for any help
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Banned
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Siknature View Post
    U(n) is the group of all n x n unitary matrices.

    Say TEU(n) is the tangent space at the identity. (E just refers to "at the identity").

    For n = 2, how do i show that the following 2 x 2 matrices make a basis of TEU(2)?:

    s0 = (first row: i, 0 /second row:0 , i)

    s1 = (first row: i , 0 /second row:0, -i)

    s2 = (first row: 0,1 / second row: -1,0 )

    s3 = (first row:0 , i / second row: i , 0)

    Thanks for any help

    This can't be right, imo, since the tangent space at the identity of the unitary matrices are the skew-symmetric, or anti-symmetric(anti-hermitian, in the complex case) matrices, and both s_0\,,\,s_1 aren't skew-symmetric...

    Tonioi
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by tonio View Post
    This can't be right, imo, since the tangent space at the identity of the unitary matrices are the skew-symmetric, or anti-symmetric(anti-hermitian, in the complex case) matrices, and both s_0\,,\,s_1 aren't skew-symmetric...

    Tonioi
    I think you must have misunderstood because i dont think that what you have said is true.

    I am sure that s0 and s1 do belong to the tangent space.

    For example s1 = (first row: i, 0 /second row:0 , -i)
    So s1 transposed is the same.
    Then taking the conjugate i get: (first row:-i, 0 /second row:0, i)

    This is clearly equal to -s1 which is required for it to be skew hermitian.

    Check s0 in the same way and it can be seen that s0 also skew hermitian.

    Maybe you thought the rows were columns?

    Nevertheless, i believe these matrices must make a basis of TEU(2) but i dont know how to do this.

    Thanks
    Last edited by Siknature; November 15th 2009 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Mistakes
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Banned
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Siknature View Post
    I think you must have misunderstood because i dont think that what you have said is true.

    I am sure that s0 and s1 do belong to the tangent space.

    For example s1 = (first row: i, 0 /second row:0 , -i)
    So s1 transposed is the same.
    Then taking the conjugate i get: (first row:-i, 0 /second row:0, i)

    This is clearly equal to -s1 which is required for it to be skew hermitian.

    Check s0 in the same way and it can be seen that s0 also skew hermitian.

    Maybe you thought the rows were columns?

    Nevertheless, i believe these matrices must make a basis of TEU(2) but i dont know how to do this.

    Thanks

    Why would you take the conjugate? Are you doing inner spaces linear algebra? This belongs to Lie groups and stuff, and a matrix A is skew-symmetric iff A^T=-A , without conjugates and stuff, and this forces the diagonal to be all zeroes...

    Tonio
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by tonio View Post
    Why would you take the conjugate? Are you doing inner spaces linear algebra? This belongs to Lie groups and stuff, and a matrix A is skew-symmetric iff A^T=-A , without conjugates and stuff, and this forces the diagonal to be all zeroes...

    Tonio
    Skew-Hermitian matrix

    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia



    In linear algebra, a square matrix with complex entries is said to be skew-Hermitian or antihermitian if its conjugate transpose is equal to its negative.[1] That is, the matrix A is skew-Hermitian if it satisfies the relation
    where denotes the conjugate transpose of a matrix.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Banned
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Siknature View Post
    Skew-Hermitian matrix

    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia



    In linear algebra, a square matrix with complex entries is said to be skew-Hermitian or antihermitian if its conjugate transpose is equal to its negative.[1] That is, the matrix A is skew-Hermitian if it satisfies the relation
    where denotes the conjugate transpose of a matrix.

    Oh, I see where the confusion is, and I'm the one which first forced it since I didn't pay attention to the fact that skew-hermitian is the complex equivalent to the real skew-symmetry, , and all the time along I was thinking thus of orthogonal matrices instead of complex ones.

    Anyway, and as for your question: s_0\,,\,s_1\,,\,s_2\,,\,s_3 are a basis for this tangent space since these are four \mathbb{R}-lin. indenpendent skew-hermitian matrices, and 4 is the dimension of U(2) and of its tangent space at the identity.

    Tonio
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Find a basis for the space of symmetric nxn matrices
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 28th 2011, 06:45 AM
  2. Basis of Tangent space
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 12th 2010, 01:54 PM
  3. Space, basis, dimension, rank of Matrices
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: June 11th 2010, 09:01 AM
  4. Prove unitary matrices require orthonormal basis
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 27th 2010, 03:15 AM
  5. Tangent Space of the group of Unitary matrices.
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 2nd 2009, 10:55 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum