Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - How to introduce a natural manifold structure into the set of all straight lines?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    39

    How to introduce a natural manifold structure into the set of all straight lines?

    I have a set X which is the set of all straight lines in R^2.

    These lines are not necessarily through the origin.

    I am unsure of how to introduce a natural manifold structure into this set X.

    I know i need to write down charts showing the domains and codomains but i don't know what the charts are.

    I think defining coordinate charts on X requires considering equations that specify straight lines but im not certain.

    Thanks for any help
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Opalg's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2007
    From
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    4,041
    Thanks
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Siknature View Post
    I have a set X which is the set of all straight lines in R^2.

    These lines are not necessarily through the origin.

    I am unsure of how to introduce a natural manifold structure into this set X.
    A line in R^2 has an equation of the form ax + by + c = 0, where a and b must not both be 0.

    If a ≠ 0 then we can divide by a and write the equation as x + b'y + c' = 0. The map taking this line to the point (b',c') in R^2 is one chart.

    If b ≠ 0 then we can divide by b and write the equation as a'x + y + c' = 0. The map taking this line to the point (a',c') in R^2 is also a chart.

    Those two charts together specify the manifold structure.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Opalg View Post
    A line in R^2 has an equation of the form ax + by + c = 0, where a and b must not both be 0.

    If a ≠ 0 then we can divide by a and write the equation as x + b'y + c' = 0. The map taking this line to the point (b',c') in R^2 is one chart.

    If b ≠ 0 then we can divide by b and write the equation as a'x + y + c' = 0. The map taking this line to the point (a',c') in R^2 is also a chart.

    Those two charts together specify the manifold structure.
    Thanks you for your help.

    Is it possible to work out the dimension of the manifold from this information?

    If so, how would this be done?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Opalg's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2007
    From
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    4,041
    Thanks
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Siknature View Post
    Thanks you for your help.

    Is it possible to work out the dimension of the manifold from this information?

    If so, how would this be done?
    Simple. It's a 2-dimensional manifold, because the charts go to the space R^2.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    39
    Now that i know these charts, is there a way to define a natural surjection p: X-->RP^1 (where RP^n is the real projective space) ?

    How would i write it explicitly using the local coordinates on X and the local coordinates on RP^1 which are inhomogeneous coordinates ?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Introducing a nature manifold into a structure
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 3rd 2009, 05:44 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 27th 2009, 03:45 PM
  3. Equations Of Straight Lines?
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 9th 2009, 02:44 PM
  4. Manifold structure on set of all lines in R2
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: November 12th 2007, 10:10 AM
  5. Straight Lines
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 30th 2007, 08:06 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum