Results 1 to 13 of 13

Math Help - Interesting problem about blood...Help please :)

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11

    Interesting problem about blood...Help please :)

    Hi guys, am new here so go easy on me



    Help plzzz
    Last edited by shabz; March 20th 2009 at 04:08 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11
    I may have messed up on the way so here is the full problem...

    The drug is removed by the patient's kidneys a rate which is proportional to the concentration of the drug in the patients blood...

    From this i thought...Rate Out = k * conc. of drug

    and conc. of drug is r/v1 where r (as above) is the mg of drug in the blood and v1 is the constant ammount of blood in the body

    so Rate Out = k * r/v1 ...is this the right thinking?

    and dr/dt = Rate in - Rate out...using the rate out k*r/v1 and the rate in given in the question below

    Rest of question...

    Derive a differential equation describing the dependence on time of the drug concentration in the patient's blood. You can assume the volume of the patient's blood is a constant and that the rate of drug addition per unit volume of blood is a1 + a2*sin(k1*t) where a1, a2 and k1 are constants and t is time.

    The rest of the questions gives values and asks to plug them in etc which is straight forward...just stuck on integrating the diff. equation and whether or not I even have the correct diff. equation in the first place...
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by shabz View Post
    I may have messed up on the way so here is the full problem...

    The drug is removed by the patient's kidneys a rate which is proportional to the concentration of the drug in the patients blood...

    From this i thought...Rate Out = k * conc. of drug

    and conc. of drug is r/v1 where r (as above) is the mg of drug in the blood and v1 is the constant ammount of blood in the body

    so Rate Out = k * r/v1 ...is this the right thinking?

    and dr/dt = Rate in - Rate out...using the rate out k*r/v1 and the rate in given in the question below

    Rest of question...

    Derive a differential equation describing the dependence on time of the drug concentration in the patient's blood. You can assume the volume of the patient's blood is a constant and that the rate of drug addition per unit volume of blood is a1 + a2*sin(k1*t) where a1, a2 and k1 are constants and t is time.

    The rest of the questions gives values and asks to plug them in etc which is straight forward...just stuck on integrating the diff. equation and whether or not I even have the correct diff. equation in the first place...
    The ODE is:

    \frac{d}{dt}r=-k\frac{r}{v}+v(a_1+a_2\sin(k_1 t))

    rearrange:

    \frac{d}{dt}r+k\frac{r}{v}=v(a_1+a_2\sin(k_1 t))

    and this is a first order linear constant coefficient ODE and you should be able to solve this.

    CB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11
    thank you so much! been a long time since i've done ODEs

    will go and finish off the question now
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11
    ok now its getting real hairy...the next step is i need to integrate the following

    integrate: exp(k2*t/v).sin(k1*t) dt, where k1 and k2 are constants

    how can i integrate it by parts when exp will keep giving exp and sin will keep giving cos/sin/cos/sin etc...?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11
    ok i got it...you chose the exp as your u twice and it comes out with the original I which you substitute back in and divide! lol...

    this is gunna be interesting to check over
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by shabz View Post
    ok now its getting real hairy...the next step is i need to integrate the following

    integrate: exp(k2*t/v).sin(k1*t) dt, where k1 and k2 are constants

    how can i integrate it by parts when exp will keep giving exp and sin will keep giving cos/sin/cos/sin etc...?
    exp(k2*t/v).sin(k1*t) is the imaginary part of:

    exp(k2*t/v)*exp(k1*t*i) = exp((k2/v+k1*i)*t)

    CB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11
    not sure i'm with you there? why do we need imaginary numbers?

    i integrated by parts twice chosing u as the exp part and v' as the sin part...after that i got back to the original integral and sub'd that back in, factorising and divided through...i think that worked? i got something that looked feasible as my final solution at least lol
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by shabz View Post
    not sure i'm with you there? why do we need imaginary numbers?

    i integrated by parts twice chosing u as the exp part and v' as the sin part...after that i got back to the original integral and sub'd that back in, factorising and divided through...i think that worked? i got something that looked feasible as my final solution at least lol
    The point is the integral is trivial if regarded as the imaginary part of the integral of a complex exponential.

    CB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11
    I woke up this morning and a thought occured...

    for the rate in...why did you multiply by v?

    if dr/dt = rate in - rate out

    ...the rates are both measured in mg per litre blood per hour...so do we need to multiply the rate in by v? if we multiply the rate in by v our new units will be mg per hour and the rate out will still be mg per litre per hour...since in the question it tells us that k's units are measured in per hour...
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #11
    Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11
    have added the question to the first post to make life easier
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  12. #12
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by shabz View Post
    I woke up this morning and a thought occured...

    for the rate in...why did you multiply by v?

    if dr/dt = rate in - rate out

    ...the rates are both measured in mg per litre blood per hour...so do we need to multiply the rate in by v? if we multiply the rate in by v our new units will be mg per hour and the rate out will still be mg per litre per hour...since in the question it tells us that k's units are measured in per hour...
    Because you are given a dose rate in whatever (milligm?) per unit volume of blood. To get the actual rate in milligms or whatever you need to multiply by the blood volume.

    CB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  13. #13
    Newbie
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11
    but the rate in and rate out units don't match up? i've uploaded the question to post 1...here's my working aswell..




    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Modelling Blood Pressure
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 9th 2011, 09:55 AM
  2. Blood
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 15th 2010, 07:57 AM
  3. Blood Flow Integral Problem
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 21st 2010, 03:18 PM
  4. very interesting problem!!!
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 26th 2009, 03:00 PM
  5. Blood Types!
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 13th 2007, 10:12 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum