Results 1 to 4 of 4

Math Help - diff eqn, level 5?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    34

    diff eqn, level 5?

    I have no idea how to even start, let alone anything else... but even if i had, i bet i would get stuck somewhere in it.

    d5y/dx5 + 2(d4y/dx4)+ d3y/dx3 + 3(d2y/dx2) -y=0

    given y(0)=dy/dx(0)=d2y/dx2(0)=d3y/dx3(0)=d4y/dx4(0)=0. this looks horrible...auch
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by fiksi View Post
    I have no idea how to even start, let alone anything else... but even if i had, i bet i would get stuck somewhere in it.

    d5y/dx5 + 2(d4y/dx4)+ d3y/dx3 + 3(d2y/dx2) -y=0

    given y(0)=dy/dx(0)=d2y/dx2(0)=d3y/dx3(0)=d4y/dx4(0)=0. this looks horrible...auch
    Well this is a fifth order linear constant coefficient ODE, and with adequate initial conditions the solution is unique, also the zero function satisfies the equation and initial conditions. So ...

    CB
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBlack View Post
    Well this is a fifth order linear constant coefficient ODE, and with adequate initial conditions the solution is unique, also the zero function satisfies the equation and initial conditions. So ...

    CB
    Well, so is it since all derivatives of 0, and y(0) all equal zero, the final solution is y=0?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,453
    Thanks
    1868
    Quote Originally Posted by fiksi View Post
    Well, so is it since all derivatives of 0, and y(0) all equal zero, the final solution is y=0?
    Yes, thats what he said.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Functions Help??? A Level C3?
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 2nd 2011, 07:58 AM
  2. Level curves
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 22nd 2010, 04:58 AM
  3. Jordan Curve (high level, graduation level)
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 29th 2009, 06:24 AM
  4. significance level
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 14th 2008, 11:19 PM
  5. A level Maths
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: May 23rd 2007, 12:22 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum