Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - Series Circuts

  1. #1
    No one in Particular VonNemo19's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    From
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    1,823

    Series Circuts

    An electromotive force


    E(t)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}120,&\mbox{ if }<br />
0\leq{t}\leq20\\0, & \mbox{ if } t>20\end{array}\right.

    is applied to an LR series circut in which the inductance is 2o henries and the resistance is 2 ohms. Find the current i(t) is i(0)=0.

    Now, I would totally know what to do here guys if the voltage wasn't piecewise. How do I proceed?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Florida
    Posts
    3,093
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by VonNemo19 View Post
    An electromotive force


    E(t)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}120,&\mbox{ if }<br />
0\leq{t}\leq20\\0, & \mbox{ if } t>20\end{array}\right.

    is applied to an LR series circut in which the inductance is 2o henries and the resistance is 2 ohms. Find the current i(t) is i(0)=0.

    Now, I would totally know what to do here guys if the voltage wasn't piecewise. How do I proceed?
    DE

    \displaystyle L\frac{di}{dt}+Ri=E(t)

    L = 20 and R = 2. For 0\leq t\leq 20, then \displaystyle 20\frac{di}{dt}+2i=120\Rightarrow\frac{di}{dt}+\fr  ac{1}{10}i=6

    Solve like a DE

    For t\leq 20

    \displaystyle 20\frac{di}{dt}+2i=0\Rightarrow\frac{di}{i}=-\frac{dt}{10}

    Solve as a DE.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    No one in Particular VonNemo19's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    From
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    1,823
    Quote Originally Posted by dwsmith View Post
    DE

    \displaystyle L\frac{di}{dt}+Ri=E(t)

    L = 20 and R = 2. For 0\leq t\leq 20, then \displaystyle 20\frac{di}{dt}+2i=120\Rightarrow\frac{di}{dt}+\fr  ac{1}{10}i=6

    Solve like a DE

    For t\leq 20

    \displaystyle 20\frac{di}{dt}+2i=0\Rightarrow\frac{di}{i}=-\frac{dt}{10}

    Solve as a DE.
    So, I get

    i(t)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}60(1-e^{-t/10}),&\mbox{ if }<br />
0\leq{t}\leq20\\60(e^2-1)e^{-t/10}, & \mbox{ if } t>20\end{array}\right.

    Right?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Florida
    Posts
    3,093
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by VonNemo19 View Post
    So, I get

    i(t)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}60(1-e^{-t/10}),&\mbox{ if }<br />
0\leq{t}\leq20\\60(e^2-1)e^{-t/10}, & \mbox{ if } t>20\end{array}\right.

    Right?
    Correct.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Florida
    Posts
    3,093
    Thanks
    5
    Ok so we have done 25 and 33. Is 35 next?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    No one in Particular VonNemo19's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    From
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    1,823
    Well, dwsmith...Thank you so very much for your help tonight. I think I'll ace this exam that I have Tuesday and I attribute part of my future success to you. I'll ace it because my teacher doesn't even know the material that well - it's obvious in how she responds to some of the tougher questions during class. So, since she doesn't know it that well, she's limited in the types of problems that she can assign because she has to be able not only to grade them, but articulate her reasons in a clear and professional manner as to why she may have marked a particular problem incorrect. Therefore, I think that she will stick to the very basic notions within differential equations and leave a more advanced treatment to someone who knows what they're talking about.

    Anyways, thanks again,
    VonNemo.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Florida
    Posts
    3,093
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by VonNemo19 View Post
    Well, dwsmith...Thank you so very much for your help tonight. I think I'll ace this exam that I have Tuesday and I attribute part of my future success to you. I'll ace it because my teacher doesn't even know the material that well - it's obvious in how she responds to some of the tougher questions during class. So, since she doesn't know it that well, she's limited in the types of problems that she can assign because she has to be able not only to grade them, but articulate her reasons in a clear and professional manner as to why she may have marked a particular problem incorrect. Therefore, I think that she will stick to the very basic notions within differential equations and leave a more advanced treatment to someone who knows what they're talking about.

    Anyways, thanks again,
    VonNemo.
    Just be open and honest with her and tell her how you feel. It is a high risk high reward strategy that will 99.9999% backfire i.e. don't try it.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 3rd 2011, 02:12 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 29th 2010, 07:11 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 26th 2010, 09:06 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 16th 2009, 08:56 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 5th 2008, 10:44 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum