Results 1 to 8 of 8

Math Help - Quick Problems

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8

    Quick Problems

    I'm tutoring someone in Calc I over the summer and she came to me with the following two problems on a pre-test. It's been awhile since I've done u-substition, and I think I've got it right, but don't want to set her on the wrong track. The problems:

    1) (integral of) ((ln(rt(x))) / x )dx

    2) (integral from -8 to 0) (1 / (rt(1-x)))dx

    I didn't get much out of the first, but the second, I found it to be -2 + 2(rt(-7)). Would someone be able to verify this result, as well as assist with the first problem?

    Thanks in advance!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    18,383
    Thanks
    1474
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics-is-Phun View Post
    1) (integral of) ((ln(rt(x))) / x )dx

    2) (integral from -8 to 0) (1 / (rt(1-x)))dx
    Does 'rt' mean root? If so \ln(\sqrt{x})=\frac{\ln(x)}{2}.

    BTW: Typing [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] gives  \sqrt{x}
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    MHF Contributor
    skeeter's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    From
    North Texas
    Posts
    11,621
    Thanks
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics-is-Phun View Post
    I'm tutoring someone in Calc I over the summer and she came to me with the following two problems on a pre-test. It's been awhile since I've done u-substition, and I think I've got it right, but don't want to set her on the wrong track. The problems:

    1) (integral of) ((ln(rt(x))) / x )dx

    2) (integral from -8 to 0) (1 / (rt(1-x)))dx

    I didn't get much out of the first, but the second, I found it to be -2 + 2(rt(-7)). Would someone be able to verify this result, as well as assist with the first problem?

    Thanks in advance!
    1) \ln{\sqrt{x}} = \frac{1}{2}\ln{x}

    u = \ln{x} ... du = \frac{1}{x} \, dx

    2) u = 1-x

    du = -dx

    -\int_{-8}^1 \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x}} \, (-dx) = -\int_9^1 \frac{du}{\sqrt{u}} = \int_1^9 \frac{du}{\sqrt{u}}

    you should get 4 for this integral
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Joined
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8
    Ah- thank you for the correction on the second problem. That was rather short-sighted of me. @_@

    As for the first problem, I got that far- but I couldn't remember how to proceed with any degree of certainty. Unfortunately, she doesn't have the answer, as it's a "pre-test" problem. What would be the next step moving forward from "u" and "du"?

    Aside- thanks for the bracket thingy. I forgot that you could do stuff like that on forums.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member slider142's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2009
    From
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics-is-Phun View Post
    As for the first problem, I got that far- but I couldn't remember how to proceed with any degree of certainty. Unfortunately, she doesn't have the answer, as it's a "pre-test" problem. What would be the next step moving forward from "u" and "du"?
    Have you rewritten the integrand in terms of u and du only with no x's or dx?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Joined
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8
    That was actually my difficulty- because the problem has 1/x, I wasn't sure if 1/\sqrt{x} could be pulled outside the integral (or something to that effect), which would then leave the proper dx substitution of (1/\sqrt{x})dx.

    Like I said, I got as far as figuring out what the substitution was supposed to be ( u = ln(\sqrt{x}) , du = (1/\sqrt{x})dx). As far as actually implementing the substitution, it's been awhile since I've done u-sub (much to my chagrin), and I want to get this right for my student- especially as it's a pre-test problem. If I had the next step, I could probably take the problem from there- it's just the next step that's killing me.
    Last edited by Physics-is-Phun; August 6th 2009 at 04:40 AM. Reason: mixing up of square root signs with respect to original problem
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Super Member malaygoel's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2006
    From
    India
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by Physics-is-Phun View Post
    Like I said, I got as far as figuring out what the substitution was supposed to be ( u = ln(\sqrt{x}) , du = (1/\sqrt{x})dx).
    If
    u = ln(\sqrt{x})

    then

    du=\frac{1}{2x}dx
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Joined
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8
    Ah... that would be where I first went wrong. That makes the problem so much simpler!

    Thank you! I knew I was missing something goofy.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Quick Q-Field Problems
    Posted in the Number Theory Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: September 4th 2010, 01:00 PM
  2. 2 quick problems
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 9th 2009, 05:41 AM
  3. 3 Quick Problems
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 6th 2009, 05:32 PM
  4. 4 Quick Problems
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 10th 2009, 03:44 PM
  5. 2 quick problems
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: June 24th 2008, 04:21 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum