Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - Logarithmic spiral

  1. #1
    jpi
    jpi is offline
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3

    Question Logarithmic spiral

    Hi
    I have some questions regarding a puzzle.



    This is a logarithmic spiral, and i know that from "Startpunkt" to "A" the direct distance is 86,23. From "Startpunkt" to "B" the direct distance is 75,41.
    If i start at "Startpunkt" and measure the spiral where will the point be when the distance is 3000 ?

    I have found the definition r = ae^(b*theta), but i don't know how to use it. How do i find the two constants a and b ?

    And how do i find the length ?

    Regards
    Jacob
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,217
    Thanks
    1789
    Quote Originally Posted by jpi View Post
    Hi
    I have some questions regarding a puzzle.



    This is a logarithmic spiral, and i know that from "Startpunkt" to "A" the direct distance is 86,23. From "Startpunkt" to "B" the direct distance is 75,41.
    If i start at "Startpunkt" and measure the spiral where will the point be when the distance is 3000 ?

    I have found the definition r = ae^(b*theta), but i don't know how to use it. How do i find the two constants a and b ?
    For \theta= 0,at startpunkt, r= a and when \theta= \pi, at A, r= ae^(b\pi). And we are told that the distance between the points, which is the difference between those two, is 86,23: a- ae^{b\pi}= 86,23. When \theta= 2\pi, point B, [tex]r= ae^{2b\pi}. The distance between startpunkt and B, we are told, is 7541: ae^{2b\pi}- a= 7541. Solve those two equations for a and b.

    And how do i find the length ?

    Regards
    Jacob
    As for the arclength, the general formula, given that x(t) and y(t) are functions of the parameter t, is
    \int \sqrt{\left(\frac{dx}{dt}\right)^2+ \left(\frac{dy}{dt}\right)^2} dt

    Here, since this is given in terms of r and \theta so you need x= rcos(\theta) and y= rsin(\theta) as well as the fact that r= ae^{b\theta}. That is, x= ae^{b\theta}cos(\theta) and y= ae^{b\theta}sin(\theta).

    The derivatives messy but the formula reduces nicely (since sin^2(\theta)+ cos^2(\theta)= 1) to
    \int a\sqrt{b^2+ 1}e^{b\theta} d\theta
    which is easy to integrate:
    \frac{a}{b}\sqrt{b^2+1}e^{b\theta}+ C
    to find the arclength between \theta_1 and the startpunkt, evaluate that at the two points and subtract:
    \frac{a}{b}\sqrt{b^2+1}\left(e^{b\theta}- 1\right)
    set that equal to 3000 and solve for \theta.
    Last edited by HallsofIvy; January 12th 2009 at 08:49 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    jpi
    jpi is offline
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by HallsofIvy View Post
    For \theta= 0,at startpunkt, r= a and when \theta= \pi, at A, r= ae^(b\pi). And we are told that the distance between the points, which is the difference between those two, is 86,23: a- ae^{b\pi}= 86,23.
    Shouldn't it be a+ ae^{b\pi}= 86,23 ?
    r = a is the piece from (0,0) to startpunkt and r = ae^{b\pi} is the part from (0,0) to A. Or am i wrong here ?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,217
    Thanks
    1789
    Quote Originally Posted by jpi View Post
    Shouldn't it be a+ ae^{b\pi}= 86,23 ?
    r = a is the piece from (0,0) to startpunkt and r = ae^{b\pi} is the part from (0,0) to A. Or am i wrong here ?
    Yes, you are right: one point is left of (0,0), the other to the right. I though I had corrected that by editting!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    jpi
    jpi is offline
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3
    I have now solved the puzzle, and got the answer correct !!!

    Thanks a lot. It is higly appreciated

    /Jacob
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: February 13th 2011, 09:49 AM
  2. Archimedes Spiral
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: August 11th 2010, 01:34 PM
  3. Logarithmic Spiral
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 11th 2010, 11:58 AM
  4. hyperbolic spiral
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 7th 2010, 03:39 AM
  5. Prime Spiral Help
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 16th 2009, 07:02 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum