Results 1 to 8 of 8

Math Help - acceleration - velocity & speed

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    From
    Santiago
    Posts
    517

    acceleration - velocity & speed

    An object moves along the
    x-axis with acceleration given by a(t) = sin 2t, t being the time, measured in seconds. At t = 0, its position is given by s = 5, and its velocity at t = 0 is v = 1/2 (that is, it is moving to the left at a speed of 1/2 unit per second).
    (a) Where is it after 5 seconds?
    (b) What is the farthest left it gets, and when does it first get there?
    (c) What is the farthest right it gets, and when does it first get there?

    how would i start off by tacking this question.

    do i need to integrate sin2t to get the velocity?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by jvignacio View Post
    An object moves along the
    x-axis with acceleration given by a(t) = sin 2t, t being the time, measured in seconds. At t = 0, its position is given by s = 5, and its velocity at t = 0 is v = 1/2 (that is, it is moving to the left at a speed of 1/2 unit per second).


    (a) Where is it after 5 seconds?
    (b) What is the farthest left it gets, and when does it first get there?

    (c) What is the farthest right it gets, and when does it first get there?

    how would i start off by tacking this question.

    do i need to integrate sin2t to get the velocity?
    Yes. And then integrate velocity to get position.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Super Member

    Joined
    May 2006
    From
    Lexington, MA (USA)
    Posts
    11,740
    Thanks
    645
    Hello, jvignacio!

    An object moves along the x-axis with acceleration: . a(t) \:=\:\sin 2t,\:t measured in seconds.

    At t = 0, its position is s = 5, and its velocity is  v = \text{-}\tfrac{1}{2}

    (a) Where is it after 5 seconds?

    (b) What is the farthest left it gets, and when does it first get there?

    (c) What is the farthest right it gets, and when does it first get there?
    We are given the acceleration function.
    We must find the velocity function and the position function.

    To find v(t), integrate a(t)\!\quad v(t) \;=\;\int\sin2t\,dt \;=\;\text{-}\tfrac{1}{2}\cos2t + C .[1]

    We are told that: . v(0) \:=\:\text{-}\tfrac{1}{2}
    . . So we have: . \text{-}\tfrac{1}{2}\cos0 + C \:=\:\text{-}\tfrac{1}{2} \quad\Rightarrow\quad C \:=\:0

    . . The velocity function is: . \boxed{v(t) \;=\;\text{-}\tfrac{1}{2}\cos2t}


    To find s(t), integrate v(t)\!:\quad s(t) \;=\;\text{-}\tfrac{1}{2}\int \cos2t\,dt \;=\;\text{-}\tfrac{1}{4}\sin2t + C

    We are told that: . s(0) = 5
    . . So we have: . \text{-}\tfrac{1}{4}\sin0 + C \:=\:5 \quad\Rightarrow\quad C \:=\:5

    . . The position function is: . \boxed{s(t) \;=\;\text{-}\tfrac{1}{4}\sin2t + 5}


    Now you are ready to answer the questions . . .

    Last edited by Soroban; November 12th 2008 at 01:09 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    From
    Santiago
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally Posted by Soroban View Post
    Hello, jvignacio!

    We are given the acceleration function.
    We must find the velocity function and the position function.

    To find v(t), integrate a(t)\!\quad v(t) \;=\;\int\sin2t\,dt \;=\;\text{-}\tfrac{1}{2}\cos2t + C .[1]

    We are told that: . v(0) \:=\:\text{-}\tfrac{1}{2}
    . . So we have: . \text{-}\tfrac{1}{2}\cos0 + C \:=\:\text{-}\tfrac{1}{2} \quad\Rightarrow\quad C \:=\:0

    . . The velocity function is: . v(t) \;=\;\text{-}\tfrac{1}{2}\cos2t


    To find s(t), integrate v(t)\!:\quad s(t) \;=\;\text{-}\tfrac{1}{2}\int \cos2t\,dt \;=\;\text{-}\tfrac{1}{4}\sin2t + C

    We are told that: . s(0) = 5
    . . So we have: . \text{-}\tfrac{1}{4}\sin0 + C \:=\:5 \quad\Rightarrow\quad C \:=\:5

    much appreciated.
    so to find its position at 5 seconds, where do i substitute 5?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by jvignacio View Post
    much appreciated.
    so to find its position at 5 seconds, where do i substitute 5?
    You substitute t = 5 into the rule for position(!)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    From
    Santiago
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fantastic View Post
    You substitute t = 5 into the rule for position(!)
    thank you and how do i find the the furthest left and right and when does it arrive at these points ?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by jvignacio View Post
    thank you and how do i find the the furthest left and right and when does it arrive at these points ?
    You mean how to find the furthest left from s = 5 and the furthest right from s = 5 .....? My advice is to draw a graph of s versus t and interpret it accordingly.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    From
    Santiago
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fantastic View Post
    You mean how to find the furthest left from s = 5 and the furthest right from s = 5 .....? My advice is to draw a graph of s versus t and interpret it accordingly.
    okay thank you for the help.
    much appreciated.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: April 15th 2011, 12:34 PM
  2. Acceleration vector and speed
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 4th 2010, 09:49 AM
  3. acceleration/speed question
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: September 9th 2008, 05:37 PM
  4. Velocity and Acceleration
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 10th 2008, 07:14 AM
  5. linear speed and centripetal acceleration
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 24th 2007, 06:18 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum