Results 1 to 10 of 10

Math Help - max and min urgent help

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    26

    max and min urgent help

    1)consider f(x)= 2- x for x<=0 and k-x^2 for x>0. For which values of k belonging to R has f(x) got a point of local minimum at x=0?
    2) If y= f(x) has a point of global minimum at x=6, which of the following functions has certainly got a point of global max at x=0? The possible answers are a) y= -6f(x); b)y=-f(6x); c)y=f(x+6); d)y= -f(x+6) I feel like crying...though they're stupid and basical things...help me please..
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    10,186
    Thanks
    404
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglaia View Post
    consider f(x)= 2- x for x<=0 and k-x^2 for x>0. For which values of k belonging to R has f(x) got a point of local minimum at x=0?
    For x = 0 to be a local minimum we need to have f(0) the smallest value in an open neighborhood about x = 0. Now, f(0) = 2, and this is smaller than any f(x) with x<0. So far, so good. Now we need to arrange a k value such that f(x) for x near 0 is greater than 2. Thus we need k>2.

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    10,186
    Thanks
    404
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglaia View Post
    If y= f(x) has a point of global minimum at x=6, which of the following functions has certainly got a point of global max at x=0? The possible answers are a) y= -6f(x); b)y=-f(6x); c)y=f(x+6); d)y= -f(x+6)
    Since f(x) has a minimum at x = 6 we automatically know that -f(x) has a maximum at x = 6. Thus answer a) is correct.

    b) y = -f(6x) would have a max at 6x = 6 or x = 1.

    c) y = f(x+6) would have a min at x+6 = 6 or x = 0. We have no information about a max point.

    d) y = -f(x+ 6) would have max at x+6 = 6 or x = 0.

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Global Moderator

    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    New York City
    Posts
    10,616
    Thanks
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglaia View Post
    1)consider f(x)= 2- x for x<=0 and k-x^2 for x>0. For which values of k belonging to R has f(x) got a point of local minimum at x=0?
    Use geometric intution.

    The curve y=2-x x<=0 is a line with negative slope at (0,2)

    The curve y=k-x^2 is a entire set of half shaped upside down parabolas.

    We want a relative minimum at x=0.
    Meaning some open interval containing x as a minimum point.
    Since the parabola is always going down we cannot have k<=2 because otherwise the right side points of x=0 will be above the parabola. So we need k>2, that will make the parabola on above the line ensuring there is some open interval.
    ---
    So what you posted before me, I explained better.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    26
    well i meant zero not six...i wrote what is written on the book "point of global max at x=0" not x=6..so, what's the answer?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    10,186
    Thanks
    404
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglaia View Post
    well i meant zero not six...i wrote what is written on the book "point of global max at x=0" not x=6..so, what's the answer?
    This is a problem since, following the logic I used in my solution both -6f(x) and -f(6x) would have a max at x = 0. So your answer would be both a) and b). If your problem is such that this is allowed then this is your answer.

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    26
    well it's a multiple choice question and i'm allowded to answer ticking just one...i'm getting down...by the way if you say -f(x) of course you' re turning the function upside down..dut then it was written" -6f(x)" which would probably change the things provided that there has been a prnting mistake or smth like that...what do you think?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    10,186
    Thanks
    404
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglaia View Post
    well it's a multiple choice question and i'm allowded to answer ticking just one...i'm getting down...by the way if you say -f(x) of course you' re turning the function upside down..dut then it was written" -6f(x)" which would probably change the things provided that there has been a prnting mistake or smth like that...what do you think?
    -f(x) turns the function upside-down (technically called a "reflection over the x-axis).

    Answer b) was -f(6x). -f(6x) turns the function upside-down, but also "shrinks" the x-axis by a factor of 6. However this stretching won't affect the point (0, f(0)) because x = 0 is the center of the shrinking, ie it doesn't move. So we would still have a maximum at x = 0. (The function -6f(x) flips the function upside-down and "stretches" the y-axis by a factor of 6. This would still leave x = 0 as a maximum.) Either way b) is still an acceptable answer.

    There could be a typo, I'm just not sure what the typo would have been. You're going to have to take this one to your teacher I think.

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    26
    oh my God...i definitively need to talk to my prof. anyway thank you..i feel better as i was sure i was so stupid because those things seemed to be very easy and i couldn't come up with any sort of solution...they are not so easy..on the contrary...thanks a lot!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    10,186
    Thanks
    404
    Awards
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglaia View Post
    oh my God...i definitively need to talk to my prof. anyway thank you..i feel better as i was sure i was so stupid because those things seemed to be very easy and i couldn't come up with any sort of solution...they are not so easy..on the contrary...thanks a lot!
    Actually they aren't that bad. You just need some time to get used to them. Good luck with your professor!

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Urgent!!!help with attempted questions - urgent
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 28th 2010, 01:29 AM
  2. I need urgent urgent hel with this parabola question
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 14th 2008, 05:48 PM
  3. Very urgent!
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 30th 2008, 02:01 PM
  4. Urgent HW help
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 14th 2008, 06:52 AM
  5. urgent HELP
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 12th 2007, 05:34 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum