Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - integrate problem

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    From
    Santiago
    Posts
    517

    integrate problem

    hi just confused on this integration.

     <br />
\int xcosx<br />

    how would i go about solving?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by jvignacio View Post
    hi just confused on this integration.

     <br />
\int xcosx<br />

    how would i go about solving?
    There are many techniques. One such is integration by parts. You'll find it done as an example somewhere in here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integra...#More_examples.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    From
    Santiago
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fantastic View Post
    There are many techniques. One such is integration by parts. You'll find it done as an example somewhere in here: Integration by parts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

    whats the other way besides integration by parts? coz we dont learn that technique in my course. Its in the next course up from mine.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by jvignacio View Post
    whats the other way besides integration by parts? coz we dont learn that technique in my course. Its in the next course up from mine.
    Try integration by recognition:

    Differentiate y = x sin x.

    Hence find the integral of x cos x.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    From
    Santiago
    Posts
    517
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fantastic View Post
    Try integration by recognition:

    Differentiate y = x sin x.

    Hence find the integral of x cos x.
    well thats exactly what the tutorial question was . find diff of xsinx and then using that answer integrate xcosx...

    i found the diff of xsinx.. it was sinx + xcosx but im not sure how this can lead me to the integral of xcosx
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by jvignacio View Post
    well thats exactly what the tutorial question was . find diff of xsinx and then using that answer integrate xcosx...

    i found the diff of xsinx.. it was sinx + xcosx but im not sure how this can lead me to the integral of xcosx
    \frac{dy}{dx} = \sin x + x \cos x

    Integrate both sides with respect to x:

    y = \int \sin x + x \cos x \, dx = \int \sin x \, dx + \int x \cos x \, dx = - \cos x +  \int x \cos x \, dx

    Substitute y = x \sin x:

    x \sin x =  - \cos x +  \int x \cos x \, dx

    Now re-arrange to make \int x \cos x \, dx the subject and add a "+ C".

    Next time post the whole question - as you can now see the first part was essential to answering the second part.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Integrate problem
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 30th 2010, 11:16 AM
  2. Integrate problem- need to review for accuracy
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 7th 2010, 02:03 PM
  3. Integrate problem with partial fractions
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 27th 2009, 08:41 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 18th 2009, 09:21 PM
  5. Calc problem integrate
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 3rd 2007, 04:55 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum