Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - Simpsons Rule and Trapezoidal Rule

  1. #1
    Junior Member Misa-Campo's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    From
    Australia, Sydney
    Posts
    34

    Simpsons Rule and Trapezoidal Rule



    How do i find f(x)? and then how do i answer the question? thanks
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Super Member Matt Westwood's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    From
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    824
    Thanks
    33
    You plug the values into the formula for calculating Simpson's rule and there you are.

    First you need to look in your text book to discover what Simpson's rule is.

    I can't remember it off hand, but it concerns taking two subintervals together. Here you'd use 1 -> 1.5 -> 2 as one pair of subintervals and 2 -> 2.5 -> 3 as the other. These are the x values.

    Then the y values are the values of the function at each of these values, which have been provided for you.

    It's now just a matter of arithmetical calculation.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2
    Well...
    U have 5 values...
    so h= (3-1)/5=0.4

    Use this , u can apply the formula of either trapezoidal or Simpsons to get the value of the whole integration..

    Let y(i) be the value of F(x(i)) .

    Then u just use the formula...

    h/3(y0 + 4(y1+y3+y5+....) +2 (y2+y4+y6.....+ y(n-2))+ yn) ...Simpsons rule...

    substitute the values....

    And if u want to find F(x) ..u can use Newton Interpolation or Gauss Interpolation...
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Misa-Campo View Post


    How do i find f(x)? and then how do i answer the question? thanks
    The trapezoidal rule was derived fro the area of a trapezoid whose two bases, b1 and b2, are parallel, and are separated by a perpendicular distace or altitude, h:
    A = (b1 +b2)/2]*h

    In your given table, the bases are the y-values, and the h is 0.5, which is the constant interval in the x-values.
    So in the 1st trapezoid, b1 = 5 and b2 = 1.
    Hence A1 = (5+1)/2]*0.5 = 1.5

    In the 2nd trapezoid, b1 = 1 and b2 = -2
    so, A2 = (1 +(-2))/2]*0.5 = -0.25

    In the 3rd trapezoid, b1 = -2, and b2 = 3, so,
    A3 = (-2 +3)/2]*0.5 = 0.25

    A4 = [(3 +7)/2]*0.5 = 2.5

    Therefore, total area A = A1 +A2 +A3 +A4 = 1.5 -0.25 +0.25 +2.5 = 4 sq.units.

    Using Simpson's Trapezoidal Rule,
    A = (d/2)[h1 +2h2 +2h3 +2h4 +h5]
    A = (0.5 /2)[5 +2(1) +2(-2) +2(3) +7]
    A = 0.25[16]
    A = 4 sq.units ---------------the same as above.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member Misa-Campo's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    From
    Australia, Sydney
    Posts
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by ticbol View Post
    The trapezoidal rule was derived fro the area of a trapezoid whose two bases, b1 and b2, are parallel, and are separated by a perpendicular distace or altitude, h:
    A = (b1 +b2)/2]*h

    In your given table, the bases are the y-values, and the h is 0.5, which is the constant interval in the x-values.
    So in the 1st trapezoid, b1 = 5 and b2 = 1.
    Hence A1 = (5+1)/2]*0.5 = 1.5

    In the 2nd trapezoid, b1 = 1 and b2 = -2
    so, A2 = (1 +(-2))/2]*0.5 = -0.25

    In the 3rd trapezoid, b1 = -2, and b2 = 3, so,
    A3 = (-2 +3)/2]*0.5 = 0.25

    A4 = [(3 +7)/2]*0.5 = 2.5

    Therefore, total area A = A1 +A2 +A3 +A4 = 1.5 -0.25 +0.25 +2.5 = 4 sq.units.

    Using Simpson's Trapezoidal Rule,
    A = (d/2)[h1 +2h2 +2h3 +2h4 +h5]
    A = (0.5 /2)[5 +2(1) +2(-2) +2(3) +7]
    A = 0.25[16]
    A = 4 sq.units ---------------the same as above.
    I have a question if we are using Simpson's rule of 5 function values, how come we use substitute y into the formula? even when i substitute x values into the formula answer is still the same.
    Last edited by Misa-Campo; July 28th 2008 at 03:47 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Misa-Campo View Post
    I have a question if we are using Simpson's rule of 5 function values, how come we use substitute y into the formula? even when i substitute x values into the formula answer is still the same.
    The old formula I know about Simpson's Rule is
    A = (d/2)[h1 +hn +2(h2 +h3 +h4 =...+h(n-1)]
    where hn is the last h
    and h(n-1) is the second to the last h.

    In your table, the d is in terms of x, and the h is in terms of y.

    Or, again, y represents the parallel bases of the trapezoids. In the old formula, the h represents the parallel bases of the trapezoids.

    Meaning, do not be limited to the specific variables used in any formula. Do understand what the formula means, so that you can use the formula using any variable. Do not memorize the exact variables; do memorize the meaning of the formula.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. simpsons rule
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 18th 2010, 05:20 AM
  2. Simpsons rule,Trapezoidal rule,check please
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 16th 2010, 07:06 AM
  3. Matlab Simpsons Rule and Midpoint Rule
    Posted in the Math Software Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 18th 2009, 10:27 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 20th 2008, 08:12 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 31st 2006, 10:08 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum