Results 1 to 8 of 8

Math Help - Partial Fractions

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    290

    Partial Fractions

    Need some insight into how to determine A, C, and D

    (x^2 - 2x - 1) /(((x - 1)^2)(x^2 + 1)



    A / ( x - 1) + B / (x - 1) + (Cx +D) / (x + 1)

    x - 2x - 1 = A(x - 1 )(x + 1) - (x +1) + (Cx + D)(x - 1)




    Now I know that B = -1. What i'm having trouble is figuring out the others. I've tried foiling out everything but then when I equate coefficients, i'll have two variables equal to each other. Any help is appreciated
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Moo
    Moo is offline
    A Cute Angle Moo's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    From
    P(I'm here)=1/3, P(I'm there)=t+1/3
    Posts
    5,618
    Thanks
    6
    Hello

    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanEyoon View Post
    Need some insight into how to determine A, C, and D

    (x^2 - 2x - 1) /(((x - 1)^2)(x^2 + 1)



    A / ( x - 1) + B / (x - 1) + (Cx +D) / (x + 1)

    x - 2x - 1 = A(x - 1 )(x + 1) - (x +1) + (Cx + D)(x - 1)




    Now I know that B = -1. What i'm having trouble is figuring out the others. I've tried foiling out everything but then when I equate coefficients, i'll have two variables equal to each other. Any help is appreciated
    x^2- 2x - 1 = A(x - 1 )(x^2 + 1) + B(x^2 +1) + (Cx + D)(x - 1)^2

    ---------------------
    Using rough expanding :

    {\color{red}x^2}-2{\color{green}x}-1=A{\color{magenta}x^3}-A{\color{red}x^2}+A{\color{green}x}-A+B{\color{red}x^2}+B+C{\color{magenta}x^3}+D{\col  or{red}x^2}-2C{\color{red}x^2}-2D{\color{green}x}+C{\color{green}x}+D

    x^3 coefficients :
    A+C=0

    x coefficients :
    1=-A+B+D-2C

    x coefficients :
    -2=A-2D+C

    constant coefficients :
    -1=-A+B+D


    You're right, you can easily get B.
    \boxed{B=-1}


    Substituting in the previous equations :

    \left\{\begin{array}{llll} 0&=&A+C \\ 2&=&-A-2C+D \\ -2&=&A+C-2D \\ 0&=&-A+D \end{array} \right.

    From the first equation, we have C=-A and from the fourth, A=D

    Substituting again :

    \left\{\begin{array}{ccc} 2&=&-A+2A+A \\ -2&=&A-A-2A \end{array} \right.

    \implies \boxed{A=1}



    Therefore \boxed{D=1} and \boxed{C=-1}




    ---------------------------

    There is a faster way, in noticing that x^2+1=(x-i)(x+i)

    But if you didn't study the complex numbers, it won't be easy for you to grasp it immediately

    ---------------------------

    There is another way, involving differentiation (you do the same trick as you did for B, after you have differentiated )
    Last edited by Moo; June 23rd 2008 at 12:10 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Math Engineering Student
    Krizalid's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2007
    From
    Santiago, Chile
    Posts
    3,654
    Thanks
    12
    Note that

    \frac{x^{2}-2x-1}{(x-1)^{2}\left( x^{2}+1 \right)}=\frac{(x-1)^{2}-2}{(x-1)^{2}\left( x^{2}+1 \right)}=\frac{1}{x^{2}+1}-\frac{2}{(x-1)^{2}\left( x^{2}+1 \right)}.

    So the remaining challenge is to descompose \frac{2}{(x-1)^{2}\left( x^{2}+1 \right)}.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    290
    Moo


    That was pretty confusing but after studying it, it makes perfect sense. I appreciate it


    Question. You foiled everything out but is there a simpler method to do this without expanding everything? I'm asking because the professor told us we can use three methods : Finger method, Equating Coefficients, and plugging an arbitrary value for X to solve for A, B, C, and D.

    I was wondering if you could show me using the last method perhaps?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Moo
    Moo is offline
    A Cute Angle Moo's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    From
    P(I'm here)=1/3, P(I'm there)=t+1/3
    Posts
    5,618
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanEyoon View Post
    Moo


    That was pretty confusing but after studying it, it makes perfect sense. I appreciate it


    Question. You foiled everything out but is there a simpler method to do this without expanding everything? I'm asking because the professor told us we can use three methods : Finger method, Equating Coefficients, and plugging an arbitrary value for X to solve for A, B, C, and D.

    I was wondering if you could show me using the last method perhaps?
    Uuum, yeah I'm sorry sorry, I have the bad habit to skip some steps in calculations...


    For the last method... Ok.

    ------------------------------
    So you know that B=-1, by taking x=1.


    The equation is now :

    x^2- 2x - 1 = A(x - 1 )(x^2 + 1) -(x^2 +1) + (Cx + D)(x - 1)^2

    Take for example x=2. This will simplify calculations because 2-1=1.


    (2)^2-2(2)-1=A(1)(5)-(5)+(2C+D)(1)

    -1=5A-5+2C+D \implies 4=5A+2C+D \ {\color{red}(1)}

    Take for example x=0

    -1=A(-1)(1)-(1)+D(0-1)^2

    -1=-A+D-1 \implies A-D=0 \ {\color{red}(2)}


    Take for example x=-1

    1-2(-1)-1=A(-2)(2)-2+(-C+D)(-2)^2

    2=-4A-2-4C+4D \implies A+C+1=D \ {\color{red}(3)}



    Use basic substitutions in (1), (2) and (3)
    Last edited by Moo; June 23rd 2008 at 12:11 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    290
    In your first line, I thought since B = -1 it's supposed to be - (x^2 + 1)? Or is there a rule where we don't put in the -1?



    Edit : I'm even more lost by that last method. If you have three variables in one equation, how are you supposed to know each one?

    you have -6 = 5A + 2C + D. How am I supposed to get those variables from here? Thanks and sorry for the many questions.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Moo
    Moo is offline
    A Cute Angle Moo's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    From
    P(I'm here)=1/3, P(I'm there)=t+1/3
    Posts
    5,618
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanEyoon View Post
    In your first line, I thought since B = -1 it's supposed to be - (x^2 + 1)? Or is there a rule where we don't put in the -1?



    Edit : I'm even more lost by that last method. If you have three variables in one equation, how are you supposed to know each one?

    you have -6 = 5A + 2C + D. How am I supposed to get those variables from here? Thanks and sorry for the many questions.
    I made some typos... I edited it
    I'm sincerely sorry for the confusion !


    For example, from (2), you have A=D.
    Then, substitute in (1) and (3), etc...

    You have to solve this system :

    \left\{\begin{array}{lll} {\color{red}(1)} \\ {\color{red}(2)} \\ {\color{red}(3)} \end{array} \right.

    These (1), (2) & (3) label equations
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    290
    Ah ic what you mean now. I'll give it a try!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 28th 2010, 09:53 AM
  2. Partial Fractions
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 4th 2010, 06:24 PM
  3. Partial Fractions
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: January 17th 2010, 02:20 AM
  4. Help on Partial Fractions
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: January 6th 2010, 03:00 AM
  5. partial fractions
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 21st 2007, 04:49 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum