Results 1 to 10 of 10

Math Help - College Calculus II

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2

    College Calculus II

    I am trying to do test corrections . I have attached a copy of the test. I don't need help with all I just need help with 1a,b,c,d and 3a,b,c. That is all for now
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor kalagota's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    From
    Taguig City, Philippines
    Posts
    1,026
    you really insist huh?

    fine..

    1a.. i believe you know \int \sec^2 x \, dx..
    so the first thing you do is to set u = \sqrt{x}

    1b.. you may want to divide first and you will get a constant + 1 over something.. that 1 over something is an \ln form when integrated..
    EDIT: I didn't see that there was a power of 7. anyways, use a substitution on the denominator with out the power..

    1c.. set u = x^3

    1d.. you may want to separate first.. for the first addends, set u = 4 + x^2.. for the second addends, it just a direct application of what you should have learned..
    Last edited by kalagota; June 22nd 2008 at 10:34 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2
    Thank you sooo much for the help!!!!!!!!!

    anyone want to help with 3a,b,c
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor Reckoner's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2008
    From
    Baltimore, MD (USA)
    Posts
    1,024
    Thanks
    75
    Awards
    1

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by hookem085 View Post
    I am trying to do test corrections . I have attached a copy of the test. I don't need help with all I just need help with 1a,b,c,d and 3a,b,c. That is all for now
    Again, this is a to-be-graded assignment, as posted here (under a different name, no less). I would advise others (though the moderators have the final say) not to provide direct solutions to or work for these problems, but to instead offer general help or guidance.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    May 2008
    Posts
    10
    3a use washer with respect to y
    Last edited by evilpostingmongy; June 22nd 2008 at 11:19 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor kalagota's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    From
    Taguig City, Philippines
    Posts
    1,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
    Again, this is a to-be-graded assignment, as posted here (under a different name, no less). I would advise others (though the moderators have the final say) not to provide direct solutions to or work for these problems, but to instead offer general help or guidance.
    don't you think that some of the questions being asked here are answered, without knowing whether the questions asked are graded or not, yet we, helpers, give direct or exact solutions? i mean, what is the difference between helping this person who told us that the questions are graded and helping other guys who have not told us whether the question is graded or not?

    if you were able to read all content of the attached file, you will see that all of his solutions were, in fact, given at the last pages before s/he even asked us to help him/her.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    MHF Contributor Reckoner's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2008
    From
    Baltimore, MD (USA)
    Posts
    1,024
    Thanks
    75
    Awards
    1

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by kalagota View Post
    don't you think that some of the questions being asked here are answered, without knowing whether the questions asked are graded or not, yet we, helpers, give direct or exact solutions? i mean, what is the difference between helping this person who told us that the questions are graded and helping other guys who have not told us whether the question is graded or not?
    There is no difference, which is why I usually prefer to give guidance rather than a complete solution if further details are unknown. In addition, I don't think a very large proportion of the questions asked here are for exams to be graded, considering that exams are usually taken in classrooms (though there is some occasional people with take-home exams, for whatever reason), which just leaves homework. And homework, in my experience, is usually either not graded or given only a slight influence on one's grade as compared to exams, so this is usually less an issue.

    Quote Originally Posted by kalagota View Post
    if you were able to read all content of the attached file, you will see that all of his solutions were, in fact, given at the last pages before s/he even asked us to help him/her.
    I read the file. Her attempted solutions are there, but she was asked to correct the test for a revised grade. So I think it would be inappropriate for us to do the corrections.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    MHF Contributor kalagota's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    From
    Taguig City, Philippines
    Posts
    1,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
    I read the file. Her attempted solutions are there, but she was asked to correct the test for a revised grade. So I think it would be inappropriate for us to do the corrections.
    i think, the way s/he asked in the first thread was inappropriate.. however, this time, s/he told us that s/he was doing the corrections already. so maybe it may be good also for him/her at least (or at most) the initial step (we shall not deprive her/him of that)..

    and it will be up to us now whether we will continue to give the complete solution (which in this case, no we should not)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    MHF Contributor Reckoner's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2008
    From
    Baltimore, MD (USA)
    Posts
    1,024
    Thanks
    75
    Awards
    1

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by kalagota View Post
    i think, the way s/he asked in the first thread was inappropriate.. however, this time, s/he told us that s/he was doing the corrections already. so maybe it may be good also for him/her at least (or at most) the initial step (we shall not deprive her/him of that)..

    and it will be up to us now whether we will continue to give the complete solution (which in this case, no we should not)
    I agree. Note that my post was not directed at you (I thought your help was appropriate), I just wanted others to understand that this was going to be graded so that they could make an appropriate decision on how much help they wanted to give.

    (Also, regarding your carefully-gender-neutral language, I think the name on the test removes the ambiguity )
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    MHF Contributor kalagota's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    From
    Taguig City, Philippines
    Posts
    1,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
    (Also, regarding your carefully-gender-neutral language, I think the name on the test removes the ambiguity )
    i didn't notice that the name was catherine ..
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Help with college alg. h/w
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 25th 2011, 03:05 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: August 1st 2010, 07:06 PM
  3. Solving College Calculus 1 Problems?
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 5th 2009, 05:12 PM
  4. college calculus
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 28th 2009, 05:19 PM
  5. My Plan, before entering college calculus
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: August 17th 2008, 05:54 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum