Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - Limits Graph Interpretation

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    37

    Limits Graph Interpretation

    I have a problem that is:

    f(0)=1; lim f(x)=3 as x approaches 0 from the left
    lim f(x)=1 as x approaches 0 from the right

    I know how to graph looks like, when i did it, but in the back of the book
    lim f(x)=3 as x approaches 0 from the left<---- it has a hole
    lim f(x)=1 as x approaches 0 from the right<----has a solid dot.

    Why are the lines of these functions have dark dots, and some have holes??
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor Mathstud28's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    From
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,641
    Quote Originally Posted by snakeman11689 View Post
    I have a problem that is:

    f(0)=1; lim f(x)=3 as x approaches 0 from the left
    lim f(x)=1 as x approaches 0 from the right

    I know how to graph looks like, when i did it, but in the back of the book
    lim f(x)=3 as x approaches 0 from the left<---- it has a hole
    lim f(x)=1 as x approaches 0 from the right<----has a solid dot.

    Why are the lines of these functions have dark dots, and some have holes??
    What you said hard to interpret, but I would assume it means that the function is continuous from the right meaning the right hand limit agrees with the actual value, and discontinous from the left.

    It would be more helpful if you could give an example in terms of a picture
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathstud28 View Post
    What you said hard to interpret, but I would assume it means that the function is continuous from the right meaning the right hand limit agrees with the actual value, and discontinous from the left.

    It would be more helpful if you could give an example in terms of a picture


    Here it is

    The Bolded yellow line is the one with the dark dot, while the other one has a hole.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor Mathstud28's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    From
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,641
    Quote Originally Posted by snakeman11689 View Post


    Here it is

    The Bolded yellow line is the one with the dark dot, while the other one has a hole.
    I cannot see this picture, sorry. But I am about 99% sure that what I said above is what you are asking.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathstud28 View Post
    I cannot see this picture, sorry. But I am about 99% sure that what I said above is what you are asking.
    GOT IT THANKS
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 12th 2011, 02:02 AM
  2. Limits from a graph of a function
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 18th 2010, 04:33 AM
  3. Scatter Graph interpretation help :)
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 28th 2010, 05:33 AM
  4. graph of one-sided limits
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 11th 2009, 10:19 AM
  5. Graph Sketching of Limits
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 10th 2007, 08:43 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum