Results 1 to 8 of 8

Math Help - Calculus homework again...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    May 2008
    Posts
    50

    Calculus homework again...

    I am still having terrible trouble with my class. Any help is greatly appreciated and I want to thank everyone who has helped me out in the past.

    The first problem I am having trouble with is finding f prime of the function

    ((2x^2)(tan(x))/(sec(x))


    Now my first inclination is ((sec(x))((4x)(sec^2(x)))-((2x^2(tan(x)))((sec(x))(tan(x)))))/(sec(x)(tan(x)))

    But I input this and it comes out incorrect. Any ideas? Is it a typo or am I doing it wrong?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Eater of Worlds
    galactus's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2006
    From
    Chaneysville, PA
    Posts
    3,001
    Thanks
    1
    The first thing to do is simplify, then it's easy to work with

    \frac{2x^{2}tan(x)}{sec(x)}=2x^{2}sin(x)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    May 2008
    Posts
    50
    A farmer wants to enclose a rectangular area and then divide it into four pens with fencing parallel to one side of the rectangle (see the figure below). He has 470 feet of fencing available to complete the job. What is the largest possible total area of the four pens?

    How does one solve this type of problem?

    My professor has several of these and I want to figure out the general method.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Joined
    May 2008
    Posts
    50
    anyone know how to do this one? It seems easy but I am unsure how to set up the equation: A bacteria culture starts with 720 bacteria and grows at a rate proportional to its size. After 2 hours there will be 1440 bacteria. Express the population after t hours as a function of t.
    population:
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    MHF Contributor Mathstud28's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    From
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikeman85 View Post
    anyone know how to do this one? It seems easy but I am unsure how to set up the equation: A bacteria culture starts with 720 bacteria and grows at a rate proportional to its size. After 2 hours there will be 1440 bacteria. Express the population after t hours as a function of t.
    population:
    Set up the model y=Ce^{kt}

    now you are given two initial conditions

    when t=0 y=770 which implies C=770

    and when t=2 Y=1440 now put in your values we have foud as of yet and solve for k
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor Mathstud28's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    From
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikeman85 View Post
    A farmer wants to enclose a rectangular area and then divide it into four pens with fencing parallel to one side of the rectangle (see the figure below). He has 470 feet of fencing available to complete the job. What is the largest possible total area of the four pens?

    How does one solve this type of problem?

    My professor has several of these and I want to figure out the general method.
    The general method for solving these optimization problem is setting up two equations, the first is the equation whhich contains both variables and a number

    For example x+y=1

    and then setting up the function you want to optimize

    for example

    S=xy

    then you solve for a variable in the first one

    x+y=1\Rightarrow{x=1-y}

    and then sub into the optimizing equation

    S=(1-y)y

    now find the max/min for this equation, once found the y or x value, sub that back into your original equation to get the other value


    now apply that here
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Joined
    May 2008
    Posts
    50
    A plane flying with a constant speed of km/min passes over a ground radar station at an altitude of km and climbs at an angle of degrees. At what rate, in km/min is the distance from the plane to the radar station increasing minutes later?


    And how about this problem? How does this one work?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Behold, the power of SARDINES!
    TheEmptySet's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    From
    Yuma, AZ, USA
    Posts
    3,764
    Thanks
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikeman85 View Post
    A plane flying with a constant speed of km/min passes over a ground radar station at an altitude of km and climbs at an angle of degrees. At what rate, in km/min is the distance from the plane to the radar station increasing minutes later?


    And how about this problem? How does this one work?
    Always draw a diagram

    Calculus homework again...-capture.jpg

    We can use the law of cosines to set up an equation

    y^2=12^2+x^2-2(12)x\cos(125^\circ)

    We know \frac{dx}{dt}=24

    taking the derivative with respect to t we get

    2y\frac{dy}{dt}=2x\frac{dx}{dt}-24\cos(125^\circ)\frac{dx}{dt}

    Do you think you can finish from here?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. calculus homework
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 7th 2008, 07:13 PM
  2. Please help with calculus homework!!!!!
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 8th 2008, 04:26 PM
  3. Calculus III homework
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: November 6th 2007, 07:19 PM
  4. Calculus Homework Help Please
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: March 26th 2007, 05:09 PM
  5. [SOLVED] AP Calculus Homework Help
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 15th 2006, 06:56 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum