Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - [SOLVED] Displacement Confusion

  1. #1
    Junior Member Evales's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    63

    [SOLVED] Displacement Confusion

    "A small object is dragged across a corrugated surface so that its height h above the ground in terms of its horizontal displacement x is given by

    h = 2 + (3/2)sin (2x)

    The object moves in such a way that the horizontal component of its velocity has a constant value of c, x = 0 at time t = 0.

    Find a formula for x in terms of t."

    I'm confused as to how I am supposed to obtain x and remove h. I don't understand how the horizontal component relates to this displacement.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Evales View Post
    "A small object is dragged across a corrugated surface so that its height h above the ground in terms of its horizontal displacement x is given by

    h = 2 + (3/2)sin (2x)

    The object moves in such a way that the horizontal component of its velocity has a constant value of c, x = 0 at time t = 0.

    Find a formula for x in terms of t."

    I'm confused as to how I am supposed to obtain x and remove h. I don't understand how the horizontal component relates to this displacement.
    x = ct.

    Then, moving along to what I imagine the next part will require,

    h = 2 + (3/2)sin (2ct)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member Evales's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    63
    The next part of the question asks about finding the vertical component of the velocity in relation to t.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Evales View Post
    The next part of the question asks about finding the vertical component of the velocity in relation to t.
    Get dh/dt.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member Evales's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    63
    Okay so far I have found why x = ct and now I'm trying to find dh/dt

    The only problem is that I can only find x in relation to t AND c.

    Because I know c is a constant is it okay to just use that anyway?

    dh/dt = dx/dt * dh/dx
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Evales View Post
    Okay so far I have found why x = ct and now I'm trying to find dh/dt

    The only problem is that I can only find x in relation to t AND c.

    Because I know c is a constant is it okay to just use that anyway?

    dh/dt = dx/dt * dh/dx
    Yes.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. [SOLVED] Domain and range confusion
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 17th 2010, 12:08 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 25th 2009, 01:51 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 10th 2009, 04:44 AM
  4. [SOLVED] Distribution Function Confusion
    Posted in the Advanced Statistics Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: May 1st 2009, 07:55 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 7th 2008, 04:45 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum