Results 1 to 8 of 8

Math Help - Finding a function from Fourier coefficients

  1. #1
    DMT
    DMT is offline
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    43

    Finding a function from Fourier coefficients

    Anyone have a clue what function f(x) (however weird it needs to be) will satisfy the following integral for any integer n>0:

    \int^{\pi}_{0}  f(x)sin(nx)dx=(-1)^{n+1}
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by DMT
    Anyone have a clue what function f(x) (however weird it needs to be) will satisfy the following integral for any integer n>0:

    \int^{\pi}_{0}  f(x)sin(nx)dx=(-1)^{n+1}
    In retrospect I don't think this is going to be much use, but here it is
    anyway:

    Consider the formal Fourier series:

    g(x)=k+\frac{1}{\pi}\sum_1^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^n}{n}\cos(nx)

    Now if I have done this right your f is the formal derivative of g.

    RonL
    Last edited by CaptainBlack; July 4th 2006 at 07:40 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Super Member malaygoel's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2006
    From
    India
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by DMT
    Anyone have a clue what function f(x) (however weird it needs to be) will satisfy the following integral for any integer n>0:

    \int^{\pi}_{0}  f(x)sin(nx)dx=(-1)^{n+1}
    I think f(x) is
    n - \frac{1}{\pi sin(nx)}

    Keep Smiling
    Malay
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    DMT
    DMT is offline
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    43
    Well, the point was to find an f(x) that gave a specific Fourier series of which those were the coefficients. I did find it finally though, I think.

    I'm pretty sure it's just a version of an alternating delta function, with peaks at pi and -pi and then made 2pi periodic. I think the peaks go to infinity with infinite terms, but I'm not sure. This became a lot clearer with the similar cosine series.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by DMT
    Well, the point was to find an f(x) that gave a specific Fourier series of which those were the coefficients. I did find it finally though, I think.

    I'm pretty sure it's just a version of an alternating delta function, with peaks at pi and -pi and then made 2pi periodic. I think the peaks go to infinity with infinite terms, but I'm not sure. This became a lot clearer with the similar cosine series.
    Humm - <scratches his chin.>

    I'm not sure, .. how about the derivative of the delta function at pi.

    (made periodic, factors of 2 or 1/2 inserted as needed etc etc ..)

    RonL
    Last edited by CaptainBlack; July 4th 2006 at 10:50 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBlack
    Humm - <scratches his chin.>

    I'm not sure, .. how about the derivative of the delta function at pi.

    (made periodic, factors of 2 or 1/2 inserted as needed etc etc ..)

    RonL
    Notes on numerical experiments:

    the partial sums look like they may be heading for the derivative of
    the delta function, its the term wise integrals that do not look like they
    are heading for the delta or the unit step functions

    However since the main property of the derivative of the delta is:

    <br />
\int_{R} \delta'(x-a) f(x) dx = f'(a)<br />

    for any sufficiently well behaved function f and with slight
    abuse of notation.


    It does look as though its what we need (if we slightly modify the
    statment of the problem). On second thoughts no, it will introduce
    an extra factor of 1/n where we don't want/need it


    RonL
    Last edited by CaptainBlack; July 5th 2006 at 04:22 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    DMT
    DMT is offline
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    43
    Thansk for looking at this, but I have what I need now so you don't need to bother anymore.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by DMT
    Thansk for looking at this, but I have what I need now so you don't need to bother anymore.
    You have now stired my interest, and so can't stop being bothered
    Anyway I think I know what it is (more or less) now, so I will now go
    back to sleep.

    RonL
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Fourier Series question - finding coefficients
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 14th 2011, 11:17 AM
  2. Fourier Coefficients
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 10th 2011, 07:34 AM
  3. Finding a function's coefficients from inputs and target outputs
    Posted in the Advanced Applied Math Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: January 5th 2011, 12:37 PM
  4. Fourier Coefficients
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: June 23rd 2009, 07:50 PM
  5. Fourier Coefficients
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: April 1st 2009, 07:28 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum