Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Math Help - Need Calculus assistance with several problems! I have a date tonight!

  1. #16
    Moo
    Moo is offline
    A Cute Angle Moo's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    From
    P(I'm here)=1/3, P(I'm there)=t+1/3
    Posts
    5,618
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by galactus View Post
    I believe it's unbounded.
    Why ? o.O

    Quote Originally Posted by janvdl View Post
    I believe the help given here might be illegal. Let the moderators investigate. I know what the WebCT system is and how it works...
    Why ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikeman85 View Post
    Neither 8 nor 2 worked, and unbounded isn't an option.

    As I said, I tried to calculate it out with the equation I specified.
    8 above, 2 below... This means you have to divide..
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #17
    Junior Member
    Joined
    May 2008
    Posts
    50
    Oh I'm very sorry if this isn't allowed, I had no idea. I just saw that you could get homework help here, and so I decided to ask because I'm trying to work my way through this all.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #18
    Bar0n janvdl's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    From
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo View Post
    Why ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikeman85 View Post
    Oh I'm very sorry if this isn't allowed, I had no idea. I just saw that you could get homework help here, and so I decided to ask because I'm trying to work my way through this all.
    WebCT is like an online quiz. It is to be due before a certain date, set by lecturers, and counts towards one's semester mark. About 10 to 20 percent. You are allowed to use Google and all the books and examples you can get your hands on, but not direct help like this.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #19
    Junior Member
    Joined
    May 2008
    Posts
    50
    Oh alright, the book was very unclear about a problem like that. I thought that the 8x-10 cancelled and became 1. Oops.

    And I didn't get that you meant 8/2.

    But hrm. I do get what I did wrong now.

    You guys are incredibly helpful here. I won't post anymore problems that I have until it is determined whether what I am asking for is illegal.

    EDIT: The WebCT exercise I was given was a homework exercise, it does have to be turned in by a certain time, however we are allowed to ask for outside assistance (or so it says in the syllabus) I do get course marks for it. I'm very sorry if this was not allowed. It is specifically not a quiz, however (one could post quizzes on there, but also regular HW assignments like this one)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #20
    Eater of Worlds
    galactus's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2006
    From
    Chaneysville, PA
    Posts
    3,001
    Thanks
    1
    I am so sorry, Moo. I was using +x instead of -x at the end. My bad. You are so correct.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #21
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    This is part of the assessment on your course is it not?

    In which case is it also the case that you are not supposed to seek the kind of help you are getting here?

    RonL
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #22
    Junior Member
    Joined
    May 2008
    Posts
    50
    No, to my knowledge I am perfectly allowed to seek out assistance from people. There's even a math lab at the school that I can go to for my homework and ask questions like I am here. Unfortunately it is closed on the weekends.

    Yes, it is part of my course assessment, however.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #23
    Bar0n janvdl's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    From
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikeman85 View Post
    No, to my knowledge I am perfectly allowed to seek out assistance from people. There's even a math lab at the school that I can go to for my homework and ask questions like I am here. Unfortunately it is closed on the weekends.

    Yes, it is part of my course assessment, however.
    Why didn't you say this before?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikeman85 View Post
    Oh I'm very sorry if this isn't allowed, I had no idea. I just saw that you could get homework help here, and so I decided to ask because I'm trying to work my way through this all.
    First you had no idea...

    Quote Originally Posted by Pikeman85 View Post
    The WebCT exercise I was given was a homework exercise, it does have to be turned in by a certain time, however we are allowed to ask for outside assistance (or so it says in the syllabus) I do get course marks for it. I'm very sorry if this was not allowed. It is specifically not a quiz, however (one could post quizzes on there, but also regular HW assignments like this one)
    I believe outside assistance means Google and other books and notes.


    =========


    These are my thoughts but the moderators will decide about this.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #24
    Junior Member
    Joined
    May 2008
    Posts
    50
    To my knowledge I am allowed to print out the online homework and take it to the Math Lab and ask questions like this. I've certainly taken homework to the math lab before and gotten assistance on it.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #25
    Bar0n janvdl's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2007
    From
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,630
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikeman85 View Post
    To my knowledge I am allowed to print out the online homework and take it to the Math Lab and ask questions like this. I've certainly taken homework to the math lab before and gotten assistance on it.
    Very well. My apologies for suspecting you of cheating.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  11. #26
    Junior Member
    Joined
    May 2008
    Posts
    50
    If I were trying to cheat, I would only be asking for the answers. I'm trying to actually understand the material that I don't get, so that I can do well on the tests and continue progressing in the course.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  12. #27
    MHF Contributor Mathstud28's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    From
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikeman85 View Post
    If I were trying to cheat, I would only be asking for the answers. I'm trying to actually understand the material that I don't get, so that I can do well on the tests and continue progressing in the course.
    Well if that is the case you are more than welcome to ask questions here in my opinion!

    Got any you want answered now?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  13. #28
    Moo
    Moo is offline
    A Cute Angle Moo's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    From
    P(I'm here)=1/3, P(I'm there)=t+1/3
    Posts
    5,618
    Thanks
    6
    The American system is really weird... We would barely have papers due to some date, and where "you are allowed to search on google, but not to ask for any help"

    It's just nonsense
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  14. #29
    Junior Member
    Joined
    May 2008
    Posts
    50
    I am looking for the limit of h as h goes to 0 of the function: (((7/(a+h)) - (7/a))/h

    Not the answer! Just how to do it. As in, what's the method to solve it, or how would I go about it.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  15. #30
    Grand Panjandrum
    Joined
    Nov 2005
    From
    someplace
    Posts
    14,972
    Thanks
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo View Post
    The American system is really weird... We would barely have papers due to some date, and where "you are allowed to search on google, but not to ask for any help"

    It's just nonsense
    I'm sure its not just the American system, but any part of the assessment that is not done under controlled conditions is an absurdity in the modern world, it is inviting cheating and penalising those who don't.

    RonL
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. extracting date ranges from date vectors
    Posted in the Math Software Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 20th 2010, 03:26 PM
  2. Julian date from current date
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 22nd 2009, 02:03 PM
  3. Need assistance on summer Calculus problems
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 27th 2007, 04:46 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 23rd 2006, 07:47 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum