Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - Taylor Polynomials

  1. #1
    Newbie Foxtenn5's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2008
    From
    Maryland
    Posts
    11

    Taylor Polynomials

    Determine the third Taylor Polynomial of f(x) at x=0 for the function

    f(x)=(x+1)^-1/2

    My answer is:

    p(x)=1+1/2x+3/8x^2+5/16x^3

    Is this correct, and is it called the third Taylor polynomial because it ends in x^3? Also, is the p(x) correct or should it be written another way?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxtenn5 View Post
    Determine the third Taylor Polynomial of f(x) at x=0 for the function

    f(x)=(x+1)^-1/2

    My answer is:

    p(x)=1+1/2x+3/8x^2+5/16x^3

    Is this correct, and is it called the third Taylor polynomial because it ends in x^3? Also, is the p(x) correct or should it be written another way?
    You're not quite right. Your coefficients are correct except that two of them should be negative. But as for the degree of the polynomial, it is correct.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie Foxtenn5's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2008
    From
    Maryland
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by icemanfan View Post
    You're not quite right. Your coefficients are correct except that two of them should be negative. But as for the degree of the polynomial, it is correct.
    Oh, so should it be

    p(x)=1-1/2x+3/8x^2-5/16x^3
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxtenn5 View Post
    Oh, so should it be

    p(x)=1-1/2x+3/8x^2-5/16x^3
    Yes, that is correct.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie Foxtenn5's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2008
    From
    Maryland
    Posts
    11
    Thanks!!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Taylor Polynomials
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 9th 2010, 12:41 AM
  2. Taylor Polynomials?
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 11th 2009, 09:11 PM
  3. Taylor polynomials
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 20th 2009, 04:03 PM
  4. Taylor Polynomials
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 7th 2009, 11:37 PM
  5. Taylor Polynomials, help please
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 24th 2006, 08:23 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum