Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - [SOLVED] Solution required...

  1. #1
    Member Altair's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    87

    Question [SOLVED] Solution required...

    Please form the differential equation for the circle with centre (h,k) and radius r :-

    (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2

    answer needs to be in the terms of r ,y and its derivatives. I solved it but it gets too complicated at the end. The equations were getting longer and longer and the end of that half-hour exercise the answer came wrong.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Please form the differential equation for the circle with centre (h,k) and radius r :-

    (x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2

    answer needs to be in the terms of r ,y and its derivatives. I solved it but it gets too complicated at the end. The equations were getting longer and longer and the end of that half-hour exercise the answer came wrong.
    Use implicit differentiation with respect to x on both sides of the circle equation:

    2(x - h) + 2(y - k) \frac{dy}{dx} = 0 \Rightarrow \frac{dy}{dx} = - \frac{(x - h)}{(y - k)}.

    Now substitute (x - h) = \pm \sqrt{r^2 - (y - k)^2} .....
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Member Altair's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    87
    Thanks. Now the question is that you must have applied implicit differentiation intuitively.

    1. How will I know when to and when not to apply it?
    2.And by opening and then differentiating the function also comes under implicit differentiation, right?
    3.Why does that tend to become more complicated?
    4.And can I use implicit differentiation in all such expressions?

    I'll be able to understand it a lot better if you can please answer all the above questions.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Super Member wingless's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Istanbul
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    1. How will I know when to and when not to apply it?
    It's usually used when you can't write y as a function of x, like in this one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    2.And by opening and then differentiating the function also comes under implicit differentiation, right?
    You can apply it before or after expanding the function.

    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    3.Why does that tend to become more complicated?
    I think it looks quite simple. What do you mean by complicated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    4.And can I use implicit differentiation in all such expressions?
    Why not? As long as you look for y' and have an equation, you can use it.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Member Altair's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by wingless View Post
    Why not? As long as you look for y' and have an equation, you can use it.
    And for  y'' as well, right?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Super Member wingless's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Istanbul
    Posts
    585
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Solution Of 4th order PDE Required.
    Posted in the Differential Equations Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 25th 2011, 10:51 PM
  2. Mechanics solution required
    Posted in the Advanced Applied Math Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 18th 2010, 01:31 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 28th 2009, 06:29 AM
  4. Solution required
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 10th 2008, 12:58 PM
  5. Solution required urgently
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: June 23rd 2006, 10:02 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum