I found this on a power point on the net and trying to solve it.
Its a conic section from the ellipse chapter.
- The mean distance of Mars from the Sun is 142 million miles.
- Perihelion = 128.5 million miles
- 1. What is Aphelion = ??
- 2. Equation for Mars orbit?
- Round to nearest tenth if necessary.
- Hint: Orbit of a planet about the sun is an Ellipse, with the Sun at one focus. Aphelion of a planet is its greatest distance from the Sun and the perihelion is its shortest distance. Mean distance of a planet from the sun is the length of the semi major axis of the elliptical orbit.