I just realized something, I use software called webassign to turn in my homework, and I realized that it treats "ln" and "log" exactly the same, (took me a while to figure this out, for a while I just thought that math itself was broken :P) Because I would use Function calculator
to check my answers, and it would always write "log" instead of "ln" and then my webassign would accept "log" instead of "ln" and I didn't understand what was happening lol. I actually started plugging in values for ln and log to make absolutely certain that they were not the same. And finally when I figured out that it was "messed up" (my understanding) I sent a big email to my instructor to notify him of the problem lol. I even included screenshots (I'll attach them so you can laugh with me). He never got back to me, but I bet that this is the reason the software behaves this way. I had assumed that the compiler or the code itself was messed up, because I found three different sites which treated log the same as ln, and I figured they must all 3 be based on the same faulty math engine, or compiled with the same faulty compiler or something. See my screenshots that I emailed to my instructor to show him our software didn't work right:
first one shows 3 answers I tried, the two accepted as right were
second one shows the answer I put with "log" against the expected answer with "ln" and how it accepted this as correct
and the third one shows that log(e) is treated as 1
Note: exp(1) =
, I couldn't figure out how else to use the constant "e".