Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree1Thanks
  • 1 Post By topsquark

Math Help - Trying to isolate a variable, but it's hanging out in two exponents

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2012
    From
    United States
    Posts
    3

    Trying to isolate a variable, but it's hanging out in two exponents

    Hi everyone. I'm hoping this is the right board to post to, if not please direct me to where I need to be.

    Long story short, I had a long crazy equation, and I needed to isolate the variable t so I can shove it into a second equation. I did a lot of work on it, but I've hit a wall now. What is the next step?? Here's the side of the equation I'm doing the work on:

    t(1 + 2exp(6-t) + exp(16-(6t/5) )

    Any help or suggestions would be very greatly appreciated!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    10,185
    Thanks
    404
    Awards
    1

    Re: Trying to isolate a variable, but it's hanging out in two exponents

    Quote Originally Posted by edthatalkinhorse View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm hoping this is the right board to post to, if not please direct me to where I need to be.

    Long story short, I had a long crazy equation, and I needed to isolate the variable t so I can shove it into a second equation. I did a lot of work on it, but I've hit a wall now. What is the next step?? Here's the side of the equation I'm doing the work on:

    t(1 + 2exp(6-t) + exp(16-(6t/5) )

    Any help or suggestions would be very greatly appreciated!
    I would say it's impossible without using an approximation You might be able to use the Lambert W function here.

    But I can't say for sure. You gave us an expression, not an equation. Could you show us the whole problem?

    -Dan
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Senior Member MaxJasper's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2012
    From
    Canada
    Posts
    482
    Thanks
    55

    Re: Trying to isolate a variable, but it's hanging out in two exponents

    Can you give us both original equations?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,242
    Thanks
    1795

    Re: Trying to isolate a variable, but it's hanging out in two exponents

    Quote Originally Posted by edthatalkinhorse View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm hoping this is the right board to post to, if not please direct me to where I need to be.

    Long story short, I had a long crazy equation, and I needed to isolate the variable t so I can shove it into a second equation. I did a lot of work on it, but I've hit a wall now. What is the next step?? Here's the side of the equation I'm doing the work on:

    t(1 + 2exp(6-t) + exp(16-(6t/5) )
    Your first problem is that this is NOT an equation- there is no way to "solve" just an expression.

    Any help or suggestions would be very greatly appreciated!
    Since you choose NOT to tell us what the original problem is, or give us anything helpful, there simply is no way to respond.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2012
    From
    United States
    Posts
    3

    Re: Trying to isolate a variable, but it's hanging out in two exponents

    Ah sorry I guess I got tunnel vision working on it. The original equation was:

    S = ([1/(1+exp(10-t/5)) + 1 - 1/(1+exp(6-t))]Lt ) / (V+1-(1/V))

    Which I worked around to get to:

    t(1 + 2exp(6-t) + exp(16-(6t/5) ) = (S(V+1-(1/V))) / L
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Forum Admin topsquark's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Wellsville, NY
    Posts
    10,185
    Thanks
    404
    Awards
    1

    Re: Trying to isolate a variable, but it's hanging out in two exponents

    Quote Originally Posted by edthatalkinhorse View Post
    Ah sorry I guess I got tunnel vision working on it. The original equation was:

    S = ([1/(1+exp(10-t/5)) + 1 - 1/(1+exp(6-t))]Lt ) / (V+1-(1/V))

    Which I worked around to get to:

    t(1 + 2exp(6-t) + exp(16-(6t/5) ) = (S(V+1-(1/V))) / L
    I think you are missing a negative sign in there, but no matter...the expression can't be solved for t without approximating.

    -Dan
    Thanks from edthatalkinhorse
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2012
    From
    United States
    Posts
    3

    Re: Trying to isolate a variable, but it's hanging out in two exponents

    Quote Originally Posted by topsquark View Post
    I think you are missing a negative sign in there, but no matter...the expression can't be solved for t without approximating.

    -Dan
    Ah dang. I guess it's back to the drawing board for me! Thanks anyway.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Isolate variable in trig equation
    Posted in the Trigonometry Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: April 28th 2011, 11:56 AM
  2. Problem With Variable Exponents
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 9th 2010, 05:53 PM
  3. Is there any way to isolate this variable?
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 13th 2009, 11:44 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 10th 2009, 01:14 PM
  5. Hanging Cable Problem
    Posted in the Advanced Applied Math Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 29th 2006, 10:03 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum