Results 1 to 9 of 9

Math Help - evaluate the following limits

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jul 2012
    From
    auckland
    Posts
    46

    evaluate the following limits

    7x^9-4x^5+2x-13/ -3x^9+x^8-5x+2x

    lim-- infinity

    and these

    2x^2+1/6+x-3x^2

    lim ---- infinity
    Last edited by arsenal12345; August 8th 2012 at 11:38 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,513
    Thanks
    769

    Re: evaluate the following limits

    Quote Originally Posted by arsenal12345 View Post
    7x^9-4x^5+2x-13/ -3x^9+x^8-5x+2x

    lim-- infinity
    Please confirm that the expression whose limit you need to find is exactly as written above.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    MHF Contributor
    Prove It's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,404
    Thanks
    1293

    Re: evaluate the following limits

    Quote Originally Posted by arsenal12345 View Post
    7x^9-4x^5+2x-13/ -3x^9+x^8-5x+2x

    lim-- infinity

    and these

    2x^2+1/6+x-3x^2

    lim ---- infinity
    Am I correct in assuming that these are \displaystyle \begin{align*} \lim_{x \to \infty}\frac{7x^9 - 4x^5 + 2x - 13}{-3x^2 + x^8 - 5x + 2x} \end{align*} and \displaystyle \begin{align*} \lim_{x \to \infty}\frac{2x^2 + 1}{6+x-3x^2} \end{align*}?

    Next time please either learn some LaTeX or else at least use brackets where they're needed to make the expressions make sense.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    15,372
    Thanks
    1314

    Re: evaluate the following limits

    Quote Originally Posted by Prove It View Post
    Am I correct in assuming that these are \displaystyle \begin{align*} \lim_{x \to \infty}\frac{7x^9 - 4x^5 + 2x - 13}{-3x^2 + x^8 - 5x + 2x} \end{align*} and \displaystyle \begin{align*} \lim_{x \to \infty}\frac{2x^2 + 1}{6+x-3x^2} \end{align*}?

    Next time please either learn some LaTeX or else at least use brackets where they're needed to make the expressions make sense.
    Just to clarify, you mean \displaystyle \begin{align*} \lim_{x \to \infty}\frac{7x^9 - 4x^5 + 2x - 13}{-3x^9 + x^8 - 5x + 2x} \end{align*}

    arsenal12345, divide both numerator and denominator by the highest power of x ( x^9 in the first problem, x^2 in the second).
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    MHF Contributor
    Prove It's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,404
    Thanks
    1293

    Re: evaluate the following limits

    Quote Originally Posted by HallsofIvy View Post
    Just to clarify, you mean \displaystyle \begin{align*} \lim_{x \to \infty}\frac{7x^9 - 4x^5 + 2x - 13}{-3x^9 + x^8 - 5x + 2x} \end{align*}

    arsenal12345, divide both numerator and denominator by the highest power of x ( x^9 in the first problem, x^2 in the second).
    I don't see any difference...
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,513
    Thanks
    769

    Re: evaluate the following limits

    Quote Originally Posted by Prove It View Post
    Am I correct in assuming that these are \displaystyle \begin{align*} \lim_{x \to \infty}\frac{7x^9 - 4x^5 + 2x - 13}{-3x^2 + x^8 - 5x + 2x} \end{align*}
    In the denominator, it should say -3x^9, not -3x^2.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    MHF Contributor
    Prove It's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,404
    Thanks
    1293

    Re: evaluate the following limits

    Ah right, I think I must need glasses :P

    *Awkwardly realises I'm already wearing glasses ><
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Jul 2012
    From
    auckland
    Posts
    46

    Re: evaluate the following limits

    yes u have assumed currecct man , i will try next time ,

    so how do i solve them ?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,513
    Thanks
    769

    Re: evaluate the following limits

    Quote Originally Posted by HallsofIvy View Post
    arsenal12345, divide both numerator and denominator by the highest power of x ( x^9 in the first problem, x^2 in the second).
    .
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. how to evaluate these limits
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 23rd 2012, 05:11 PM
  2. Evaluate limits
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 21st 2010, 02:43 PM
  3. Evaluate Limits
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 19th 2010, 07:00 PM
  4. Evaluate limits?
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: November 2nd 2009, 11:36 PM
  5. Evaluate limits:
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 22nd 2009, 01:42 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum