Results 1 to 10 of 10

Math Help - need a little help integrating...

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    349

    need a little help integrating...

    ok so i have the function e^(-x^2) how do i integrate this..im thinking i would use integration by parts?

    but what would be my u and what would be my v?

    thanks in advance...
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Florida
    Posts
    3,093
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by slapmaxwell1 View Post
    ok so i have the function e^(-x^2) how do i integrate this..im thinking i would use integration by parts?

    but what would be my u and what would be my v?

    thanks in advance...
    \displaystyle\int e^{-x^2}dx=\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2}\text{erf}(x)+C

    This isn't an elementary integral.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    349
    wow..um no doesnt look elementary at all..i used maxima and got the same answer; but how would i get the answer by hand? with paper and pencil?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Mar 2010
    From
    Florida
    Posts
    3,093
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by slapmaxwell1 View Post
    wow..um no doesnt look elementary at all..i used maxima and got the same answer; but how would i get the answer by hand? with paper and pencil?
    Gaussian integral - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    349
    thanks im going to go and take a look at it now...i hope we dont get a problem like this for our exam (
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    340
    Since no one has explicitly come out and said this: you basically can't do this integral. It isn't that the integral doesn't exist, it's that you can't express it as a so-called elementary function. Essentially, all your integration by parts and substitution tricks are completely useless.

    Don't worry about getting asked this on an exam. Most instructors don't ask impossible questions. The most one could reasonably expect from a student is to show that \int_{-\infty} ^ \infty e^{-x^2 / 2} \ dx = \sqrt{2\pi}. This isn't so bad if given the appropriate hint, but the usual way of solving it requires multivariate calculus, although you can do without that I think.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    MHF Contributor
    Prove It's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,829
    Thanks
    1602
    Quote Originally Posted by theodds View Post
    Since no one has explicitly come out and said this: you basically can't do this integral. It isn't that the integral doesn't exist, it's that you can't express it as a so-called elementary function. Essentially, all your integration by parts and substitution tricks are completely useless.

    Don't worry about getting asked this on an exam. Most instructors don't ask impossible questions. The most one could reasonably expect from a student is to show that \int_{-\infty} ^ \infty e^{-x^2 / 2} \ dx = \sqrt{2\pi}. This isn't so bad if given the appropriate hint, but the usual way of solving it requires multivariate calculus, although you can do without that I think.
    Or that \displaystyle \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}{e^{-x^2}\,dx} = \sqrt{\pi}.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,419
    Thanks
    1855
    dwsmith did, in fact, "come out and say" that it was NOT an elementary integral. He did not say that "you basically can't do this integral" because you can. You just have to use the non-elementary error function, erf(x), just as he showed.

    slapmaxwell1, you said "..i used maxima and got the same answer; but how would i get the answer by hand? with paper and pencil?"

    Well, what was the problem? You can't "use maxima and minima" to get an integral, which was the problem you originally posed. What problem are you really trying to solve?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by HallsofIvy View Post
    dwsmith did, in fact, "come out and say" that it was NOT an elementary integral. He did not say that "you basically can't do this integral" because you can. You just have to use the non-elementary error function, erf(x), just as he showed.

    slapmaxwell1, you said "..i used maxima and got the same answer; but how would i get the answer by hand? with paper and pencil?"

    Well, what was the problem? You can't "use maxima and minima" to get an integral, which was the problem you originally posed. What problem are you really trying to solve?
    Maxima is a computer-algebra system. He plugged the integral into that; he wasn't saying he was trying to use optimization techniques to get the solution.

    Anyways, I don't really want to get into an argument over this, but I don't really consider using erf(x) as "doing" the integral in the sense that he would be expected to do it if it was an assigned problem in a calculus class. OP doesn't nessecarily know what an elementary function is (and still might not really have a grasp on it after reading the wiki page), and I thought he would benefit from knowing that, in the sense that he is probably attempting to solve the problem, his attempts are futile, which wasn't really said explicitly.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,419
    Thanks
    1855
    Quote Originally Posted by theodds View Post
    Maxima is a computer-algebra system. He plugged the integral into that; he wasn't saying he was trying to use optimization techniques to get the solution.

    Anyways, I don't really want to get into an argument over this, but I don't really consider using erf(x) as "doing" the integral in the sense that he would be expected to do it if it was an assigned problem in a calculus class. OP doesn't nessecarily know what an elementary function is (and still might not really have a grasp on it after reading the wiki page), and I thought he would benefit from knowing that, in the sense that he is probably attempting to solve the problem, his attempts are futile, which wasn't really said explicitly.
    Thanks for the clarification about "maxima"!

    I see your point on "elementary function".
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. need help on integrating this
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 4th 2010, 07:29 AM
  2. Integrating
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 2nd 2010, 12:57 PM
  3. integrating
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 31st 2010, 03:18 PM
  4. integrating e
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 28th 2010, 12:03 AM
  5. Integrating (2x^2 -3)/x(x^2 +4
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 17th 2010, 07:14 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum