Results 1 to 8 of 8

Math Help - Setting up a double integral

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    5

    Setting up a double integral

    Hello,

    I have been thinking about this double integral for a couple hours and I can't seem to recall how to properly set it up.

    I am attempting to integrate something under the surface of z = 1 / (y+2) and over the area which is bounded by y=x and y^2+x=2.

    I initially figured that this integral would be simpler if you integrated with respect to 'x' first. Making the lower bound for x, y; and the upper bound 2-y^2. From this I got the y lower boundary to be -sqrt 2 and upper bound sqrt 2. I have attempted multiple variations and cannot seem to arrive at the correct answer.

    Can anyone assist me?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by offycakes View Post
    Hello,

    I have been thinking about this double integral for a couple hours and I can't seem to recall how to properly set it up.

    I am attempting to integrate something under the surface of z = 1 / (y+2) and over the area which is bounded by y=x and y^2+x=2.

    I initially figured that this integral would be simpler if you integrated with respect to 'x' first. Making the lower bound for x, y; and the upper bound 2-y^2. From this I got the y lower boundary to be -sqrt 2 and upper bound sqrt 2. I have attempted multiple variations and cannot seem to arrive at the correct answer.

    Can anyone assist me?
    The solution to x^2 + x = 2 is x = 1 and x = -2.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    5
    I did consider that, but to clarify...

    Would the bounds for x be -2, 1 (lower/upper)
    Bounds for y be 0 and sqrt(2-y) ?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by offycakes View Post
    I did consider that, but to clarify...

    Would the bounds for x be -2, 1 (lower/upper)
    Bounds for y be 0 and sqrt(2-y) ?
    I thought you were going to integrate with respect to x first? Have you drawn the region of integration in the xy-plane and labelled the coordinates of the intersection points of the line and parabola?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    5
    Yes, well my initial thought was to set x=0 to determine the y bounds. y^2+0=2, y=sqrt(2). I have also thought about the parabola being greater than y=-2, since if it was the problem would indefinite as a result of the denominator. I am still somewhat at a loss of how to progress further.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    5
    I finally figured the problem out, the bounds for x were not as you wrote them. The bounds for x are y and 2-y^2 (lower, upper).

    The bounds for y are -2 and 1 (lower, upper).

    This yields the correct result of 9/2.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by offycakes View Post
    I finally figured the problem out, the bounds for x were not as you wrote them. The bounds for x are y and 2-y^2 (lower, upper).

    The bounds for y are -2 and 1 (lower, upper).

    This yields the correct result of 9/2.
    I never said that the bounds for x were -2 and 1. I thought it would be obvious, especially at this level of question, that in my first reply the solutions I gave were for the x-coordinates of the intersection of the line and the parabola, from which the correct y-coordinates could be got. I thought my second reply made that particularly clear.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    5
    Neither of your replies were clear or helpful, but thanks anyways!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Need help setting this integral.
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 27th 2010, 10:02 PM
  2. Setting up an abs. value integral
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 26th 2009, 02:18 PM
  3. Setting up double integral
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 28th 2009, 11:05 AM
  4. NEED HELP SETTING UP INTEGRAL!!
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 14th 2008, 12:08 AM
  5. Setting Up Integral
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 21st 2008, 07:27 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum