Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - [SOLVED] distance travelled- integration

  1. #1
    Ife
    Ife is offline
    Member Ife's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2009
    From
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Posts
    119

    [SOLVED] distance travelled- integration

    How's the best way to approach this using integrals some way or the other? I am confused...

    A rocket takes off in a path described by the equation y= \frac{2}{3}(x^2 - 1)^\frac{3}{2}. Find the distance travelled by the rocket (rounded to the nearest km) for x= 4.6 km, to x= 6.7km
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Member
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    148
    Thanks
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ife View Post
    How's the best way to approach this using integrals some way or the other? I am confused...

    A rocket takes off in a path described by the equation y= \frac{2}{3}(x^2 - 1)^\frac{3}{2}. Find the distance travelled by the rocket (rounded to the nearest km) for x= 4.6 km, to x= 6.7km
    Would the distance traveled by the rocket be the length of the curve from x=4.6 to x=6.7?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Ife
    Ife is offline
    Member Ife's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2009
    From
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by ione View Post
    Would the distance traveled by the rocket be the length of the curve from x=4.6 to x=6.7?
    Well this is what i was unsure about...
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Ife
    Ife is offline
    Member Ife's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2009
    From
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Posts
    119
    but i tried it and i got a solution of 134km.. is that about correct? or totally off...?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Member
    Joined
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    148
    Thanks
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ife View Post
    but i tried it and i got a solution of 134km.. is that about correct? or totally off...?
    That's what I got
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Travelled vs Displacement
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 6th 2011, 10:33 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 13th 2011, 07:45 AM
  3. Finding the distance travelled by a bus
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 3rd 2009, 10:03 PM
  4. show time travelled with uniform speed
    Posted in the Advanced Applied Math Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 18th 2008, 04:18 PM
  5. Help with Mechanics - Distance Travelled
    Posted in the Advanced Applied Math Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 5th 2008, 02:41 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum