Results 1 to 9 of 9

Math Help - Derivative

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    181

    Derivative

    Hello,

    can someone please show me how to get the first and second derivative for

    2cosx+cos^2x
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,120
    Thanks
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by l flipboi l View Post
    Hello,

    can someone please show me how to get the first and second derivative for

    2cosx+cos^2x
    hi flipboi,

    The derivative of Cosx is -Sinx,
    so the derivative of 2Cosx is the derivative of (Cosx+Cosx) which is (-Sinx-Sinx)=-2Sinx.

    If you use the trigonometric identity Cos^2x=\frac{1}{2}(1+Cos2x) you can more easily find the derivative of Cos^2x.

    \frac{d}{dx}\frac{1}{2}(1+Cos2x)=\frac{1}{2}\frac{  d}{dx}Cos2x

    since the derivative of a constant is zero.

    Now you have to use the Chain Rule to complete.

    u=2x,\ \frac{du}{dx}=2

    \frac{d}{dx}Cos2x=\frac{d}{dx}Cosu=\frac{du}{dx}\f  rac{d}{du}Cosu=2(-Sinu)=-2Sin2x

    Therefore the derivative of Cos^2x is -Sin2x

    Combine the two for your final answer.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by Archie Meade View Post
    hi flipboi,

    The derivative of Cosx is -Sinx,
    so the derivative of 2Cosx is the derivative of (Cosx+Cosx) which is (-Sinx-Sinx)=-2Sinx.

    If you use the trigonometric identity Cos^2x=\frac{1}{2}(1+Cos2x) you can more easily find the derivative of Cos^2x.

    \frac{d}{dx}\frac{1}{2}(1+Cos2x)=\frac{1}{2}\frac{  d}{dx}Cos2x

    since the derivative of a constant is zero.

    Now you have to use the Chain Rule to complete.

    u=2x,\ \frac{du}{dx}=2

    \frac{d}{dx}Cos2x=\frac{d}{dx}Cosu=\frac{du}{dx}\f  rac{d}{du}Cosu=2(-Sinu)=-2Sin2x

    Therefore the derivative of Cos^2x is -Sin2x

    Combine the two for your final answer.
    For the first derivative I did this:

    -2sin(x) - 2cos(x)sin(x)

    would this be correct?

    for the second, i'm having a bit trouble.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,120
    Thanks
    1
    Yes,

    you expressed the double angle in terms of the single angle.
    To obtain the second derivative, just treat the CosxSinx as a product
    and differentiate using the product rule.

    \frac{d}{dx}(-2Sinx-2CosxSinx)=-2\frac{d}{dx}(Sinx+CosxSinx)

    =-2\frac{d}{dx}Sinx-2\frac{d}{dx}uv=-2\frac{d}{dx}Sinx-2(v\frac{du}{dx}+u\frac{dv}{dx})

    =-2\frac{d}{dx}Sinx-2(Sinx\frac{d}{dx}Cosx+Cosx\frac{d}{dx}Sinx)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by Archie Meade View Post
    Yes,

    you expressed the double angle in terms of the single angle.
    To obtain the second derivative, just treat the CosxSinx as a product
    and differentiate using the product rule.

    \frac{d}{dx}(-2Sinx-2CosxSinx)=-2\frac{d}{dx}(Sinx+CosxSinx)

    =-2\frac{d}{dx}Sinx-2\frac{d}{dx}uv=-2\frac{d}{dx}Sinx-2(v\frac{du}{dx}+u\frac{dv}{dx})

    =-2\frac{d}{dx}Sinx-2(Sinx\frac{d}{dx}Cosx+Cosx\frac{d}{dx}Sinx)
    so the 2nd derivative would be?

    -2cosx - 2cos^2x+2sin^2x<br />

    is there anyway to simplify this?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,120
    Thanks
    1
    Yes flipboi,

    You could simplify a little, using Cos^2x-Sin^2x=Cos(2x)

    Then, -2Cosx-2Cos^2x+2Sin^2x=-2Cosx-2(Cos^2x-Sin^2x)

    =-2Cosx-2Cos2x
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Member
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    181
    Thats what I was missing! what is it called when you convert cos^2x - sin^2x = cos2x?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,120
    Thanks
    1
    That's one of the list of trigonometric identities.

    It comes from Cos(A+B)=CosACosB-SinASinB

    If A and B are both x, we get Cos(x+x)=Cos2x=CosxCosx-SinxSinx=Cos^2x-Sin^2x
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,120
    Thanks
    1
    You can also write

    Cos2x=2Cos^2x-1\ \Rightarrow\ -2Cos2x=-4Cos^2x+2

    giving -2Cosx-2Cos2x=-2Cosx-4Cos^2x+2=-2Cosx(1+2Cosx)+2
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. contuous weak derivative $\Rightarrow$ classic derivative ?
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 22nd 2011, 02:37 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 24th 2011, 11:40 AM
  3. [SOLVED] Definition of Derivative/Alt. form of the derivative
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 23rd 2010, 06:33 AM
  4. Derivative of arctan in a partial derivative
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: September 12th 2010, 01:52 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 6th 2009, 02:51 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum