What is the maximum volume of a cone which fits inside a sphere of volume 1?
2. From the volume you can determine the radius of the sphere:
Solve for a.
3. Let r denote the radius of the base circle of the cone and h it's height.
4. According to Euclid's theorem
5. Plug in this term into the equation of the volume to get the equation of a function:
6. Determine the maximum of this function.
I have solved this problem before but thought that some of you might enjoy it.
I really like this problem because it's so simple to state and yet involves quite a range of mathematical techniques form algebra, geometry & calculus.
Anyone care to take it to a conclusion?