Results 1 to 8 of 8

Math Help - Integrals best solved by...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    65

    Integrals best solved by...

    For each of the following integrals, determine whether integration by substitution or integration by parts is more appropriate. Do not evaluate the integrals.

    (a) \int x^2cos(x^3) dx
    (b) \int \frac{1}{sqrt(3x+1)} dx
    (c) \int x^2sin(x) dx
    (d) \int ln(x) dx
    (e) \int xsin(x) dx
    (f) \int \frac{x^2}{1+x^3}dx
    (g) \int xe^(x^2) dx

    Which of the integrals are more appropriately found using integration by substitution?

    Which of the integrals are more appropriately found using integration by parts?


    I have b,d, and f, for sub and a,c,e, and g for by parts.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Latszer View Post
    For each of the following integrals, determine whether integration by substitution or integration by parts is more appropriate. Do not evaluate the integrals.

    (a) \int x^2cos(x^3) dx
    (b) \int \frac{1}{sqrt(3x+1)} dx
    (c) \int x^2sin(x) dx
    (d) \int ln(x) dx
    (e) \int xsin(x) dx
    (f) \int \frac{x^2}{1+x^3}dx
    (g) \int xe^{x^2} dx

    Which of the integrals are more appropriately found using integration by substitution?

    Which of the integrals are more appropriately found using integration by parts?


    I have b,d, and f, for sub and a,c,e, and g for by parts.
    so you just randomly guessed the answers? didn't you even consider checking? explain to me how you would integrate, say, d using substitution.

    for this to be more beneficial, you should probably go back over your answers. if you said substitution, say what you would substitute. if you said by parts, say what the parts would be.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    65
    D would be integration by parts,

    u = ln(x)
    dv=dx
    du=1/x
    v=x

    uv-\int du*v dx
    x*ln(x)-\int x*\frac{1}{x} /dx
    x*ln(x)-\int 1 dx
    x*ln(x)-x+c

    Sorry, for being half-assed on my OP, are there any others that I should relook at?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Latszer View Post
    D would be integration by parts,

    u = ln(x)
    dv=dx
    du=1/x
    v=x

    uv-\int du*v dx
    x*ln(x)-\int x*\frac{1}{x} /dx
    x*ln(x)-\int 1 dx
    x*ln(x)-x+c

    Sorry, for being half-assed on my OP, are there any others that I should relook at?
    hehe, yes, there are others to reconsider. just redo the problem and come up with your new answer set
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    65
    B.
    \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{3x+1}} dx

    Let u=3x+1
    \frac{1}{3}du=dx
    \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{u}}*\frac{1}{3} du
    \frac{1}{3}\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{u}} du
    \frac{1}{3}*2u+c
    \frac{2u}{3}+c
    \frac{6x+2}{3}
    2x+\frac{2}{3}

    F
    \int\frac{x^2}{1+x^3}dx
    Let u=1+x^3
    3x^2dx=du
    x^2dx=\frac{1}{3}du
    \int\frac{1}{1+x^3}*x^2dx
    \int\frac{1}{u}*\frac{1}{3}du
    \frac{1}{3}\int\frac{1}{u}du
    \frac{1}{3}*ln|u|+C
    \frac{ln|u|}{3}+C
    \frac{ln|1+x^3|}{3}

    Those look good before I move on?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    65
    E.

    \int x*sin(x)dx
    u=x
    dv=sin x
    du=1
    v=-cos x

    -x*cos(x)-\int -cos(x)dx=-x*cos(x)+sin(x)+C

    And from this I can also assume C is also solved from integration by parts.

    G.
    x*e^{x^2}dx
    let u=x^2
    2xdx=du, so... xdx=\frac{1}{2}du
    e^u\frac{1}{2}du=\frac{1}{2}\int e^udu
    \frac{e^u}{2}+C


    Have I proven myself worthy for you to confirm a,b,f, and g are done by substitution and c,d, and e are done with integration by parts?
    Last edited by Latszer; January 19th 2010 at 11:43 PM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Latszer View Post
    B.
    \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{3x+1}} dx

    Let u=3x+1
    \frac{1}{3}du=dx
    \int \frac{1}{\sqrt{u}}*\frac{1}{3} du
    \frac{1}{3}\int\frac{1}{\sqrt{u}} du
    \frac{1}{3}*2u+c
    \frac{2u}{3}+c
    \frac{6x+2}{3}
    2x+\frac{2}{3}
    correct approach, but you integrated incorrectly. note that \frac 1{\sqrt u} = u^{-1/2}

    F
    \int\frac{x^2}{1+x^3}dx
    Let u=1+x^3
    3x^2dx=du
    x^2dx=\frac{1}{3}du
    \int\frac{1}{1+x^3}*x^2dx
    \int\frac{1}{u}*\frac{1}{3}du
    \frac{1}{3}\int\frac{1}{u}du
    \frac{1}{3}*ln|u|+C
    \frac{ln|u|}{3}+C
    \frac{ln|1+x^3|}{3}

    Those look good before I move on?
    this is fine.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    is up to his old tricks again! Jhevon's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    From
    New York, USA
    Posts
    11,663
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Latszer View Post
    E.

    \int x*sin(x)dx
    u=x
    dv=sin x
    du=1
    v=-cos x

    -x*cos(x)-\int -cos(x)dx=-x*cos(x)+sin(x)+C

    And from this I can also assume C is also solved from integration by parts.
    this is fine. and yes, C is similar to this one. you'd have to use by parts twice.

    i am going to leave, so i will leave you with the answers for a and g (that is, the method to use. try to figure it out before you look). you can actually do the integrals for practice.

    Spoiler:
    both are done using substitution
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. [SOLVED] Question on integrals
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 22nd 2010, 07:25 PM
  2. [SOLVED] Improper integrals
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 21st 2009, 11:40 PM
  3. [SOLVED] integrals
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: February 12th 2009, 02:55 PM
  4. [SOLVED] 4 Integrals using substitution
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: July 7th 2008, 05:49 PM
  5. [SOLVED] Derivatives of integrals
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: June 30th 2008, 09:51 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum