Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - calculation of div F, curl F, work

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    26

    calculation of div F, curl F, work

    Hello everybody

    If anybody is able to help me with this problem (very long), I would greatly appreciate it. Since this is also an even numbered question, im not able to look up the answer. Special thanks to Scott who helped me with the Stoke's Theorem problem.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Question:
    Consider a force field given by: F(x,y,z) = y^2 i + 2 x y j + 2 z k

    a) Calculate: div F

    b) Calculate: curl F

    c) Calculate the work required to move a particle along the parabolic path given by:
    r(t) = t j + t^2 k , where -1 <= t <= 2

    d) Calculate the work required to move a particle along a circular path of radius 10, centered at the origin, oriented counter-clockwise (relative to the positive z-axis) and with starting point (10,0).
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammadmurtaza View Post
    Hello everybody

    If anybody is able to help me with this problem (very long), I would greatly appreciate it. Since this is also an even numbered question, im not able to look up the answer. Special thanks to Scott who helped me with the Stoke's Theorem problem.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Question:
    Consider a force field given by: F(x,y,z) = y^2 i + 2 x y j + 2 z k

    a) Calculate: div F

    b) Calculate: curl F

    c) Calculate the work required to move a particle along the parabolic path given by:
    r(t) = t j + t^2 k , where -1 <= t <= 2

    d) Calculate the work required to move a particle along a circular path of radius 10, centered at the origin, oriented counter-clockwise (relative to the positive z-axis) and with starting point (10,0).
    a) and b) are nothing more than aplication of the definition and calculating partial derivatives. Where are you stuck?

    c) W = \int_C F \cdot dr = \int_C F \cdot \frac{dr}{dt} \, dt

    Note that on the curve, x = 0, ~ y = t, ~ z = t^2. Therefore:

    W = \int_{t = -1}^{t = 2} ((t^2)^2 i + 0 j + 2(t^2) k) \cdot (j + 2t k) \, dt = ....

    d) Start by getting the parametric equations of the path. Then it's similar to c).

    Note that if \nabla \times F = 0 (and I haven't checked to see whether it does or not) then F = \nabla \phi - find \phi and c) and d) become much simpler to do ....
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    26

    thank mr. fantastic

    for parts a and b, i really dont understand the definition, I am confused on how to apply it For part d, I don't know how to get the parametric equation


    Thanks Mr. Fantastic, you really are fantastic
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammadmurtaza View Post
    for parts a and b, i really dont understand the definition, I am confused on how to apply it For part d, I don't know how to get the parametric equation


    Thanks Mr. Fantastic, you really are fantastic
    What part of the definitions don't you understand?

    d) x = 10 \cos t and y = 10 \sin t and the starting point is t = 0.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    26

    how to apply definition to problem

    The divergence of F ( x, y, z ) = M i + N j + P k is

    div F ( x, y, z ) = (upside down triangle) * F ( x, y, z ) = dM/dx + dN/dy + dP/dz

    If div F = 0 , then F is said to be divergent free.

    -------------------------------------------------------------

    I don't know how to apply this definition to the problem?? Is this definition even correct? Like do I just take the derivative of the function? Thanks for taking the time to help me mr. fantastic
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammadmurtaza View Post
    The divergence of F ( x, y, z ) = M i + N j + P k is

    div F ( x, y, z ) = (upside down triangle) * F ( x, y, z ) = dM/dx + dN/dy + dP/dz

    If div F = 0 , then F is said to be divergent free.

    -------------------------------------------------------------

    I don't know how to apply this definition to the problem?? Is this definition even correct? Like do I just take the derivative of the function? Thanks for taking the time to help me mr. fantastic
    To get div F, note that M = y^2, N = 2xy and P = 2z. Now take the required partial derivatives and substitue them into the definition.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Joined
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    26

    u rock!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mr fantastic View Post
    To get div F, note that M = y^2, N = 2xy and P = 2z. Now take the required partial derivatives and substitue them into the definition.
    you rock fantastic!!!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Xnpv Calculation Does not Seem to work out Exactly.
    Posted in the Business Math Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: June 3rd 2011, 04:49 AM
  2. Curl...
    Posted in the Advanced Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 1st 2010, 04:43 AM
  3. curl
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 16th 2010, 01:56 PM
  4. curl
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 16th 2009, 03:21 AM
  5. Problem with Curl of Curl
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 1st 2008, 03:38 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum