Results 1 to 4 of 4

Math Help - trajectory eq.

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    15

    trajectory eq.

    A 500 kg space shuttle is moving along the x axis at 4 m/s. The rocket of the shuttle is fired, and it gives the shuttle a thrust of 1500 j-hat N. The rocket fires over a span of 2 seconds. How do I find the trajectory equation of the shuttle for the time the rocket is fired over the two seconds. I am supposed to do it with y = function of x.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    skeeter's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    From
    North Texas
    Posts
    12,049
    Thanks
    889
    Quote Originally Posted by jamessmith View Post
    A 500 kg space shuttle is moving along the x axis at 4 m/s. The rocket of the shuttle is fired, and it gives the shuttle a thrust of 1500 j-hat N. The rocket fires over a span of 2 seconds. How do I find the trajectory equation of the shuttle for the time the rocket is fired over the two seconds. I am supposed to do it with y = function of x.
    a_y = \frac{F_y}{m}

    a_y = \frac{1500}{500} = 3

    y = \frac{1}{2}a_y t^2 , 0 \le t \le 2

    y = \frac{3}{2}t^2

    since x = 4t , substitute \frac{x}{4} for t into the equation for y
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter View Post
    a_y = \frac{F_y}{m}

    a_y = \frac{1500}{500} = 3

    y = \frac{1}{2}a_y t^2 , 0 \le t \le 2

    y = \frac{3}{2}t^2

    since x = 4t , substitute \frac{x}{4} for t into the equation for y
    How did you get the 1/2 in the 1/2*ay*t^2?

    **Nevermind!** duh...
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    skeeter's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    From
    North Texas
    Posts
    12,049
    Thanks
    889
    Quote Originally Posted by jamessmith View Post
    How did you get the 1/2 in the 1/2*ay*t^2?
    two antiderivatives.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. On the trajectory of the planet
    Posted in the Differential Equations Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 16th 2011, 09:03 PM
  2. Orthogonal trajectory problem
    Posted in the Differential Equations Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 1st 2011, 05:45 AM
  3. Phase trajectory.
    Posted in the Differential Equations Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 23rd 2010, 10:40 AM
  4. Differential arc of a trajectory
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 13th 2010, 01:03 PM
  5. [SOLVED] trajectory flight
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 21st 2006, 02:57 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum