Results 1 to 9 of 9

Math Help - Calc BC Curve of Tangent Line- Hor/Vert Problem

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    79

    Calc BC Curve of Tangent Line- Hor/Vert Problem

    My Calc teacher, well, he's cruel. Hard problem..

    Given that f(x) = 3x + x / 2x -1 , find all of the points on the curve where the tangent line has to be horizontal and vertical.

    I first solved the derivative of the equation to get 6x -6x-1 / (2x-1).

    From there, do I solve where the numerator is 0 (horizontal) and where the denominator is 0 (vertical)?

    Thank you. I seem stuck, as always...
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Banned
    Joined
    May 2009
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by r2d2 View Post
    My Calc teacher, well, he's cruel. Hard problem..

    Given that f(x) = 3x + x / 2x -1 , find all of the points on the curve where the tangent line has to be horizontal and vertical.

    I first solved the derivative of the equation to get 6x -6x-1 / (2x-1).

    From there, do I solve where the numerator is 0 (horizontal) and where the denominator is 0 (vertical)?

    Thank you. I seem stuck, as always...
    Since you said he's cruel, he might be being extremely tricky because a tangent line cannot be both horizontal and vertical, but I'll assume he isn't quite that bad, anyway

    you would do exactly what you thought... solve for when the denominator is 0 and the numerator is 0, but depending on how "cruel" he is, your answer for the denominator=0 will be x=1, which doesnt correspond to a point on the curve as it creates a vertical assymptote
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Joined
    Jun 2009
    From
    United States
    Posts
    676
    Thanks
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by r2d2 View Post
    My Calc teacher, well, he's cruel. Hard problem..

    Given that f(x) = 3x + x / 2x -1 , find all of the points on the curve where the tangent line has to be horizontal and vertical.

    I first solved the derivative of the equation to get 6x -6x-1 / (2x-1).

    From there, do I solve where the numerator is 0 (horizontal) and where the denominator is 0 (vertical)?

    Thank you. I seem stuck, as always...
    So you want to find the horizontal tangents, which would be at the points where the derivative is zero. So yes, the numerator will be zero at those points. Now for the vertical tangents . I would think that would only occur at points of inflection. So find the second derviative and set that equal to zero.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Banned
    Joined
    May 2009
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by adkinsjr View Post
    So you want to find the horizontal tangents, which would be at the points where the derivative is zero. So yes, the numerator will be zero at those points. Now for the vertical tangents . I would think that would only occur at points of inflection. So find the second derviative and set that equal to zero.

    No you are mistaking. Vertical tangents occur when the slope is \infty or, i.e. when the denominator of the derivative =0

    Though I suppose in this case you could argue about the point of inflection... which actually works for this particular case, but consider \frac{1}{x^2} where there is no change in concavity yet vertical assymptotes
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Joined
    Jun 2009
    From
    United States
    Posts
    676
    Thanks
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by artvandalay11 View Post
    No you are mistaking. Vertical tangents occur when the slope is \infty or, i.e. when the denominator of the derivative =0
    Oh yess , sorry about that. I see why that would not be correct in general.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Member
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    79
    So I would set 6x-6x-1 equal to 0 and solve for the x values? Any quick way to do that besides writing out the quad formula?

    And when it says find the POINTS, would i plug those values for x into the original equation?


    Oh, and would there be another way to get the vertical tangent lines besides taking the second derivative?
    **Just saw the previous posts**How would I solve for the vertical line points?
    Sorry, I am having trouble..

    Thanks
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Banned
    Joined
    May 2009
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by r2d2 View Post
    So I would set 6x-6x-1 equal to 0 and solve for the x values? Any quick way to do that besides writing out the quad formula?

    And when it says find the POINTS, would i plug those values for x into the original equation?


    Oh, and would there be another way to get the vertical tangent lines besides taking the second derivative?
    **Just saw the previous posts**How would I solve for the vertical line points?
    Sorry, I am having trouble..

    Thanks

    For horizontal tangents you need 6x^2-6-1=0 and you will need the quadratic formula

    For vertical tangents, (2x-1)^2=0
    then to find the points, plug in x and get the y values into f(x)

    problem is, for the vertical tangents, x=\frac{1}{2} is not actually a point on the curve
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Member
    Joined
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    79
    so to answer the vertical tangent question, I should only indicate that the x=1/2, because if i plug in 1/2 into the original equation , I get #/0, which does not exist?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    Banned
    Joined
    May 2009
    Posts
    471
    since it says all the points on the curve where.... well there are no points on the curve with a vertical tangent, so i wouldn't consider it an answer
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. find the equation of a tangent line (calc)
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: November 15th 2010, 02:22 PM
  2. [SOLVED] Tangent line to the curve.
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 16th 2010, 07:16 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: November 4th 2009, 07:49 PM
  4. Tangent line to curve
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 14th 2009, 05:43 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 7th 2008, 09:34 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum