Results 1 to 6 of 6

Math Help - Evalutating a limit

  1. #1
    Super Member
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    535

    Evalutating a limit

    Evalute:

    limit (x --> 0) ((1+x)^5 - (1+5x)) / (x^2 + x^5)


    Not sure how to do this...Any advice? Thanks
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by jzellt View Post
    Evalute:

    limit (x --> 0) ((1+x)^5 - (1+5x)) / (x^2 + x^5)


    Not sure how to do this...Any advice? Thanks
    Start by expanding and simplifying the numerator. Then divide numerator and denominator by the largest common factor.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Super Member
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    535
    Yeah that is how I thought to start also, but didn't get anywhere.

    After expanding and simplifying I got:

    x^4 + 4x^3 + 6x^2 -x

    Now what?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by jzellt View Post
    Yeah that is how I thought to start also, but didn't get anywhere.

    After expanding and simplifying I got:

    x^4 + 4x^3 + 6x^2 -x

    Now what?
    Now you go back and fix your mistakes. Because x^4 + 4x^3 + 6x^2 -x is not the correct expansion and simplification of the numerator.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Joined
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    535
    Ok... Sorry

    I got x^5 + 5x^4 + 10x^3 + 10x^2

    but Im still not sure how to continue
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Flow Master
    mr fantastic's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Zeitgeist
    Posts
    16,948
    Thanks
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by jzellt View Post
    Ok... Sorry

    I got x^5 + 5x^4 + 10x^3 + 10x^2

    but Im still not sure how to continue
    *Ahem*
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fantastic View Post
    Start by expanding and simplifying the numerator. Then divide numerator and denominator by the largest common factor.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 8th 2010, 12:29 PM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: November 15th 2009, 05:18 PM
  3. Limit, Limit Superior, and Limit Inferior of a function
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 3rd 2009, 06:05 PM
  4. Help evalutating numbers with exponents
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 7th 2008, 02:21 PM
  5. needing help on evalutating this limit..
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 29th 2008, 06:44 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum