Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - derivative of an integral

  1. #1
    Member
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    91

    derivative of an integral

    Hi

    The goal is the find f'(x) if

    f(x) = Integral sign (a= sec x; b= x^2) (1 + 2u^2)^ (1/2) <- that is the square root of (1 + 2u^2)

    Hopefully that makes sense in how I am communicating the question.

    So I started with letting t= sec x so dx/dt = sec x tan x and I am thinking I need to do the same with the x^2 but I don't know if it should be a different letter and then what do I do???

    Any help or direction you can offer is greatly appreciated.

    This calculus beginner
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Jester's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    From
    Conway AR
    Posts
    2,324
    Thanks
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by calcbeg View Post
    Hi

    The goal is the find f'(x) if

    f(x) = Integral sign (a= sec x; b= x^2) (1 + 2u^2)^ (1/2) <- that is the square root of (1 + 2u^2)

    Hopefully that makes sense in how I am communicating the question.

    So I started with letting t= sec x so dx/dt = sec x tan x and I am thinking I need to do the same with the x^2 but I don't know if it should be a different letter and then what do I do???

    Any help or direction you can offer is greatly appreciated.

    This calculus beginner
    The second fundemental thm of calculus is

    if F(x) = \int_a^x f(t)\, dt then F'(x) = f(x).

    For your problem, split the integral up. i.e.

     <br />
\int_{\sec x}^{x^2} \sqrt{1+ 2u^2}\, du = \int_{\sec x}^{a} \sqrt{1+ 2u^2}\, du + \int_{a}^{x^2} \sqrt{1+ 2u^2}\, du <br />
     <br />
= - \int_a^{\sec x} \sqrt{1+ 2u^2}\, du + \int_{a}^{x^2} \sqrt{1+ 2u^2}\, du,<br />

    where a is a constant. Then use the chain rule on each piece.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Super Member redsoxfan325's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    From
    Swampscott, MA
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    The second fundemental thm of calculus is

    if F(x) = \int_a^x f(t)\, dt then F'(x) = f(x).

    For your problem, split the integral up. i.e.

     <br />
\int_{\sec x}^{x^2} \sqrt{1+ 2u^2}\, du = \int_{\sec x}^{a} \sqrt{1+ 2u^2}\, du + \int_{a}^{x^2} \sqrt{1+ 2u^2}\, du <br />
     <br />
= - \int_a^{\sec x} \sqrt{1+ 2u^2}\, du + \int_{a}^{x^2} \sqrt{1+ 2u^2}\, du,<br />

    where a is a constant. Then use the chain rule on each piece.
    It seems unnecessary to split up the integral. Assume that \int\sqrt{1+2u^2}\,du = F(u). That is to say, F'(u)=\sqrt{1+2u^2}.

    Thus \int_{\sec x}^{x^2}\sqrt{1+2u^2}\,du = F(x^2)-F(\sec x).

    Taking the derivative of this expression (using the chain rule) gives you \sqrt{1+2(x^2)^2}\cdot2x-\sqrt{1+2(\sec x)^2}\cdot\sec x\tan x.

    Then you can clean that up a bit if you want.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Jester's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2008
    From
    Conway AR
    Posts
    2,324
    Thanks
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by redsoxfan325 View Post
    It seems unnecessary to split up the integral. Assume that \int\sqrt{1+2u^2}\,du = F(u). That is to say, F'(u)=\sqrt{1+2u^2}.

    Thus \int_{\sec x}^{x^2}\sqrt{1+2u^2}\,du = F(x^2)-F(\sec x).

    Taking the derivative of this expression (using the chain rule) gives you \sqrt{1+2(x^2)^2}\cdot2x-\sqrt{1+2(\sec x)^2}\cdot\sec x\tan x.

    Then you can clean that up a bit if you want.
    I believe what you did and what I'm suggesting is equivalent!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Super Member redsoxfan325's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    From
    Swampscott, MA
    Posts
    943
    There's no question that they give the same answer. It's just that your method involves an extra step - just one more chance to make a mistake.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Derivative of an integral
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 10th 2011, 07:25 AM
  2. Derivative of integral
    Posted in the Differential Geometry Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 14th 2010, 03:32 AM
  3. Derivative of a Integral
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 11th 2010, 04:12 PM
  4. Derivative of an integral
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 7th 2010, 12:30 AM
  5. Derivative of an Integral
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 24th 2009, 06:22 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum