Results 1 to 5 of 5

Math Help - how to apply chain rule and product rule on Ti-89

  1. #1
    Junior Member User Name's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2008
    Posts
    40

    Question how to apply chain rule and product rule on Ti-89

    Hi to all great members

    has anyone know a trick to apply these rules in a ti-89?

    I can't really get the right answer for this equationx^2+4x+4)^2
    which cane be done by the chain rule.

    all the best.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Oct 2005
    From
    Earth
    Posts
    1,599
    Because you are mentioning the chain rule, you must be referring to derivatives. The TI-89 can easily take the derivative of a problem like the one you posted. It's under Calc -> Derivative, or something like that. The syntax I believe is find the derivative function on the 89 under calc, input the expression you want to be differentiated, then put a comma and then x. That tells the calculator that x is the variable of differentiation. If you want to apply it at a certain point you can put another comma and the point I believe. Either way, add a closing parenthesis.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    MHF Contributor
    skeeter's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2008
    From
    North Texas
    Posts
    11,621
    Thanks
    426
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    Hi to all great members

    has anyone know a trick to apply these rules in a ti-89?

    I can't really get the right answer for this equationx^2+4x+4)^2
    which cane be done by the chain rule.

    all the best.
    see the screenshot ... calculator syntax is highlighted on the bottom line.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Junior Member User Name's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2008
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
    Because you are mentioning the chain rule, you must be referring to derivatives. The TI-89 can easily take the derivative of a problem like the one you posted. It's under Calc -> Derivative, or something like that. The syntax I believe is find the derivative function on the 89 under calc, input the expression you want to be differentiated, then put a comma and then x. That tells the calculator that x is the variable of differentiation. If you want to apply it at a certain point you can put another comma and the point I believe. Either way, add a closing parenthesis.
    Thanks buddy, I know to find X we should add comma and than x on the end of the equation, is there anything else we can put there? like to find tangent can we like put x=2 to find normal and tangent?
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeter View Post
    see the screenshot ... calculator syntax is highlighted on the bottom line.
    Thanks a lot!!!
    now i know what was my mistake!
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Super Member
    earboth's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2006
    From
    Germany
    Posts
    5,804
    Thanks
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    ... is there anything else we can put there? like to find tangent can we like put x=2 to find normal and tangent?

    Thanks a lot!!!
    now i know what was my mistake!
    If you want to calculate the slope of the tangent for a specific x-value then you can add the x-value by using the "|" operator. That's the key directly below the equal sign. See attachment.

    The syntax is highlighted in the input line.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails how to apply chain rule and product rule on Ti-89-fktwert_ti89.png  
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: November 9th 2010, 01:40 AM
  2. Derivatives - product rule + chain rule
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: October 19th 2009, 03:26 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 19th 2009, 01:04 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: May 25th 2009, 06:15 AM
  5. Learning how to apply the Chain Rule
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: January 22nd 2009, 03:26 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum