Results 1 to 10 of 10

Math Help - ti 89 problems

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    May 2008
    Posts
    3

    ti 89 problems

    Hello everyone,
    I am a college chemistry studen and I would like to get some help with my TI 89 calculator. I am having some major problems with it and I cannot seem to find anyone who knows how to use this thing.
    I have several questions and if anyone could please help me I would appreciate it.
    first I am having problems doing temp conversions with this calculator. I followed the book exactly, but I never get the correct answer. I use the catalogue button, get the temp conversion then select what I am looking for. for example I chose temp conversion 98.6 degrees F _ C. I know the answer is 37, but it gives me some off the wall answer.
    another problem I am having is simple division. I wanted to divide 125/100 and all it does is reduce the fraction. I can do the problem, but I just don't understand why it does this.
    I also have problems with the scientific notation. if I ask the calculator to give me a decimal in scientific notation it won't. another example is if I type .00067 into the calculator, go to mode, select scientific notation, and hit enter it just gives me the same decimal back.
    under the unit conversions when I ask something such as convert meters to inches it gives me the answer in m squared or whatever.
    I am very confused and what it boils down to is I DO NOT trust this calculator to do what it's supposed to do. if anyone could PLEASE help me I'd appreciate it. PLEASE e-mail me or post something to help me. I am having an exam this week and I feel so far behind b/c I've been trying to figure this calculator out, with basically no results.
    thank you all
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Moo
    Moo is offline
    A Cute Angle Moo's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    From
    P(I'm here)=1/3, P(I'm there)=t+1/3
    Posts
    5,618
    Thanks
    6
    Hello,

    I'll see later for the conversions...

    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer View Post
    another problem I am having is simple division. I wanted to divide 125/100 and all it does is reduce the fraction. I can do the problem, but I just don't understand why it does this.
    Just write :
    Code:
    125/100.
    Or
    Code:
    125./100
    Or when typing 125/100, push the green diamond button (under 2nd), and then enter

    I also have problems with the scientific notation. if I ask the calculator to give me a decimal in scientific notation it won't. another example is if I type .00067 into the calculator, go to mode, select scientific notation, and hit enter it just gives me the same decimal back.
    You can't just select it for one calculation..
    Go into MODE, select scientific.
    Also chose the FLOAT 12 ("Display digits"), in the MODE too. It's always useful.
    Then, enter your number.

    It works for me

    -----------------------

    For conversions, I've found this : units, I think it can help ya
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Eater of Worlds
    galactus's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2006
    From
    Chaneysville, PA
    Posts
    3,001
    Thanks
    1
    I have a Voyage 200 and an old 92, but they work virtually the same.

    Do you want to turn .0067 into scientific?. When I change 'exponential format' to scientific and enter .0067 I get 6.7E-3. Which is what we want.

    To turn a fraction in pretty print to a decimal hit the green diamond button and then ENTER. That is for approximation.

    To turn .0067 into a fraction, you can use exact(.0067).

    Make sure your 'display digits' is set on something appropriate. I keep my set on FLOAT

    Set your Exact/Approx setting to AUTO, EXACT, or APPROXIMATE. Whichever you prefer.

    As for the temp conversion, I don't know what that could be. You may have something stored in a variable or some setting is off.

    What is the 'off the wall' answer it gives?.

    A good idea is to delete all stored variables which may cause problems.

    Go to F6, then a screen will appear that says Clear a-z. Hit ENTER.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    Eater of Worlds
    galactus's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2006
    From
    Chaneysville, PA
    Posts
    3,001
    Thanks
    1
    For temperature conversion. I forgot. Been awhile since I used it.

    It works a little different for some reason.

    Use tmpcnv()

    Here is a screen capture.
    Last edited by galactus; November 24th 2008 at 06:38 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Moo
    Moo is offline
    A Cute Angle Moo's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    From
    P(I'm here)=1/3, P(I'm there)=t+1/3
    Posts
    5,618
    Thanks
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by galactus View Post
    For temperature conversion. I forgot. Been awhile since I used it.

    Use tmpcnv()

    Here is a screen capture.
    How can you make screen captures of your calculator ?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    Eater of Worlds
    galactus's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2006
    From
    Chaneysville, PA
    Posts
    3,001
    Thanks
    1
    If you want to convert meters to inches:

    Example:
    Last edited by galactus; November 24th 2008 at 06:38 AM.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    Eater of Worlds
    galactus's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2006
    From
    Chaneysville, PA
    Posts
    3,001
    Thanks
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo View Post
    How can you make screen captures of your calculator ?
    Using the GraphLink. I have TIConnect on my desktop. I click on that and then on Screen Capture. Save it and then post it. Easy. The GraphLink should have came with your calculator.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Joined
    May 2008
    Posts
    3

    thanks to everyone

    I want to thank you all for the awesome help. I appreciate it more than you can know.
    I will sit down with the calculator and actually try this stuff. I'm pretty sure I can get it to work, but it's nice to know that I can get some help if I need it.
    does anyone have any other suggestions that I should set my calculator too? I don't think I'll be doing any calc or trig if that helps any.
    also, does anyone know any good sites that I can learn some basic programming? actually what I'm looking for is a way to program some chem formulas into the calculator and hit the buttons so it will do the work for me if that's possible. something like figuring out density d=m/v and similar things.
    I did store some of the basic formulas in the notepad so I don't have to memorize them or possibly screw them up.
    also, if anyone has any good programs available or can steer me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. I found a few on ticalc, but that's about it. I don't even know how to access any programs let alone use them.
    the book is pretty complicated and the print is kinda small.
    thanks again to everyone. any help or advice is much appreciated.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  9. #9
    MHF Contributor Mathstud28's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    From
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,641
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer View Post
    I want to thank you all for the awesome help. I appreciate it more than you can know.
    I will sit down with the calculator and actually try this stuff. I'm pretty sure I can get it to work, but it's nice to know that I can get some help if I need it.
    does anyone have any other suggestions that I should set my calculator too? I don't think I'll be doing any calc or trig if that helps any.
    also, does anyone know any good sites that I can learn some basic programming? actually what I'm looking for is a way to program some chem formulas into the calculator and hit the buttons so it will do the work for me if that's possible. something like figuring out density d=m/v and similar things.
    I did store some of the basic formulas in the notepad so I don't have to memorize them or possibly screw them up.
    also, if anyone has any good programs available or can steer me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. I found a few on ticalc, but that's about it. I don't even know how to access any programs let alone use them.
    the book is pretty complicated and the print is kinda small.
    thanks again to everyone. any help or advice is much appreciated.
    Go to custom look for it its a blue back button

    once you have selected the custom key format go to

    F2

    once there the bottom will have

    f(x) define =

    Or something

    for multivariable functions do this

    say I had a four variable function for the variables x,y,z,t

    then I would just go

    f(x,y,z,t)=..
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  10. #10
    Rhymes with Orange Chris L T521's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2008
    From
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,844
    Thanks
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I am a college chemistry studen and I would like to get some help with my TI 89 calculator. I am having some major problems with it and I cannot seem to find anyone who knows how to use this thing.
    I have several questions and if anyone could please help me I would appreciate it.
    first I am having problems doing temp conversions with this calculator. I followed the book exactly, but I never get the correct answer. I use the catalogue button, get the temp conversion then select what I am looking for. for example I chose temp conversion 98.6 degrees F _ C. I know the answer is 37, but it gives me some off the wall answer.
    another problem I am having is simple division. I wanted to divide 125/100 and all it does is reduce the fraction. I can do the problem, but I just don't understand why it does this.
    I also have problems with the scientific notation. if I ask the calculator to give me a decimal in scientific notation it won't. another example is if I type .00067 into the calculator, go to mode, select scientific notation, and hit enter it just gives me the same decimal back.
    under the unit conversions when I ask something such as convert meters to inches it gives me the answer in m squared or whatever.
    I am very confused and what it boils down to is I DO NOT trust this calculator to do what it's supposed to do. if anyone could PLEASE help me I'd appreciate it. PLEASE e-mail me or post something to help me. I am having an exam this week and I feel so far behind b/c I've been trying to figure this calculator out, with basically no results.
    thank you all
    You're a chemistry student? I have something special for you: Periodic89 - A Periodic Table for the 89. It gives orbital info, and other neat stuff: Here are some screen shots (note that I've also included the program itself downloaded from here:




    Attached Files Attached Files
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 3rd 2011, 06:35 AM
  2. binomial problems/normal problems
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 20th 2010, 12:46 AM
  3. binomial problems as normal problems
    Posted in the Statistics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 20th 2010, 12:41 AM
  4. Problems with integration word problems
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: April 25th 2010, 06:39 PM
  5. Help thease problems problems
    Posted in the Geometry Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 1st 2008, 12:03 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum