I assume that
- your 1st function reads: y1(x) = x ^3 - 2x^2- 5x +3
- you use a TI83 or TI84 (?). If not please tell me which calculator you use.
1. Draw the graphs as you have described. Then use CALC (=2ND TRACE) #5 to get the intersections of these graphs.
2. The area enclosed by two graphs is calculated by:
So first calculate the difference of the two functions:
3. type at and draw the graph. Switch off the 2 previous graphs.
4. Use TRACE #7 to calculate the area. Type in the bounds which you have calculated with the intersections.
I've attached an image which shows the complete work.