Results 1 to 8 of 8

Math Help - Compund interest compunded quarterly?

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    UK, Kent
    Posts
    5

    Compund interest compunded quarterly?

    Compund interest compunded quarterly?

    from using the forumla

    AT= a0(1+i)^t
    • 2 hours ago
    • - 4 days left to answer.
    Additional Details

    I dont get it. Is the present value is 8,000, i= 5.5% p.a. compounded quarterly for 2 years then will that mean that

    present value is 8,000, i= 5.5 divded by 3 (since there are 3 quarters in a year, ...3 months is one quarter of a year).

    And the time period will be 6 quarters, since there are 6 quarters in 2 years?
    2 hours ago
    ok so if i was to implement all this in the formula =

    at=a0 (1+i)^t

    How would this work?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    3,080
    Thanks
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by solidsnoop29 View Post
    Compund interest compunded quarterly?
    from using the forumla
    AT= a0(1+i)^t
    • 2 hours ago
    • - 4 days left to answer.
    Additional Details
    I dont get it. Is the present value is 8,000, i= 5.5% p.a. compounded quarterly for 2 years then will that mean that
    present value is 8,000, i= 5.5 divded by 3 (since there are 3 quarters in a year, ...3 months is one quarter of a year).

    And the time period will be 6 quarters, since there are 6 quarters in 2 years?
    2 hours ago
    ok so if i was to implement all this in the formula = at=a0 (1+i)^t
    How would this work?
    Are you serious or joking?
    To start, there are 4 quarters in a year.

    What's the meaning of your "2 hours ago" ?

    If you want help, please re-post your problem CLEARLY.

    All I can do for you now is:
    if rate is 12% annual compounded quarterly,
    then effective rate is (1 + .12/4)^4 - 1 = 1.03^4 - 1 = .1255 (12.55%)
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    UK, Kent
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilmer View Post
    Are you serious or joking?
    To start, there are 4 quarters in a year.

    What's the meaning of your "2 hours ago" ?

    If you want help, please re-post your problem CLEARLY.

    All I can do for you now is:
    if rate is 12% annual compounded quarterly,
    then effective rate is (1 + .12/4)^4 - 1 = 1.03^4 - 1 = .1255 (12.55%)

    I appreciate your help,

    sorry I had to copy everything from what I posted in yahoo answers, that explaisn why it says 'posted 2 hours ago.'

    I get confused in what measurement to use. For example, when using the foruma

    at=A0(1+i)^t,

    at= future value, a0= present value, i= interest rate, t= time period.


    For this situation, as it asks me to compound quarterly, I would change the interest rate to suit it every quarter of a year so to do that I would do, 12% / 4 (since there are 4 quarters in a year) and the time period will be 8, as 2 years has 8 quarters?



    2) Also If a question asked me to compound 600,000 at 8% p.a to be compounded every 2/5 of a year for 2 years, what will 'i' be, and what would the time period be?


    I don't know how to convert different measures.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    3,080
    Thanks
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by solidsnoop29 View Post
    at=A0(1+i)^t,
    at= future value, a0= present value, i= interest rate, t= time period.
    For this situation, as it asks me to compound quarterly, I would change the interest rate to suit it every quarter of a year so to do that I would do, 12% / 4 (since there are 4 quarters in a year) and the time period will be 8, as 2 years has 8 quarters?
    Yes; but .12/4, not 12/4.
    So $5000 at 12% compounded quarterly over 8 years:
    5000 * (1 + .12/4)^(8*4) = 5000 * 1.03^32 = 12875.41378....
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    UK, Kent
    Posts
    5
    8 years?

    The reason I said 8 is because the time period must change to quarters. The time (T) should be suitable with the interest rate (i), (I) is the rate for quarterly, and the time period becomes quarterly to. Since its 2 years, i change it to 8 quarters, as there are 4 quarters in a year, 2 years must have 8 quarters....right?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    3,080
    Thanks
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by solidsnoop29 View Post
    2) Also If a question asked me to compound 600,000 at 8% p.a to be compounded every 2/5 of a year for 2 years, what will 'i' be, and what would the time period be?
    i will be .08/(5/2)
    (2/5 is inverted, same as 1/4 for quarter of year is inverted to 4)
    t will be 2 / (2/5) = 5

    600000 * (1 + .08/(5/2))^5 = 702343.77

    5 interest credits will be made, this way:
    Code:
    0                 600,000.00
    1     19,200.00   619,200.00
    2     19,814.40   639,014.40
    3     20,448.46   659,462.86
    4     21,102.81   680,565.67
    5     21,778.10   702,343.77
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Dec 2007
    From
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    3,080
    Thanks
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by solidsnoop29 View Post
    8 years?
    The reason I said 8 is because the time period must change to quarters. The time (T) should be suitable with the interest rate (i), (I) is the rate for quarterly, and the time period becomes quarterly to. Since its 2 years, i change it to 8 quarters, as there are 4 quarters in a year, 2 years must have 8 quarters....right?
    C'mon Snoop: I simply used 8 years as an EXAMPLE.
    Of course 2 years would have 8 quarters...but 8 years has 32; kapish?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  8. #8
    Newbie
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    From
    UK, Kent
    Posts
    5
    Thanks alot mate
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. compunded interest
    Posted in the Business Math Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 22nd 2009, 07:35 PM
  2. Interest, compounded quarterly..
    Posted in the Pre-Calculus Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 7th 2009, 06:02 AM
  3. Compounded Quarterly
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 18th 2009, 06:04 PM
  4. compund interest check
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: November 21st 2008, 05:59 PM
  5. Compounding quarterly!
    Posted in the Math Topics Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 22nd 2008, 11:31 AM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum