Results 1 to 7 of 7

Math Help - a and b

  1. #1
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    1,489

    a and b

    If a and b are positive numbers, explain how the value of
    (sqrt{a}*sqrt{b})^2 compares with the value of a + b.

    I used FOIL and ended up with a + 2(sqrt{ab}) + b, which does not equal a + b.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Oct 2005
    From
    Earth
    Posts
    1,599
    And you would be 100% correct
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  3. #3
    MHF Contributor
    Prove It's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,829
    Thanks
    1602
    Quote Originally Posted by magentarita View Post
    If a and b are positive numbers, explain how the value of
    (sqrt{a}*sqrt{b})^2 compares with the value of a + b.

    I used FOIL and ended up with a + 2(sqrt{ab}) + b, which does not equal a + b.
    (\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b})^2 = ab.

    Your statement will only be true if

    ab = a + b

    0 = a - ab + b

    0 = a(1 - b) + b

    -b = a(1 - b)

    -\frac{b}{1 - b} = a

    \frac{b}{b - 1} = a.


    So your situation will only be true for positive values of a, b so that a = \frac{b}{b - 1}.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  4. #4
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    1,489

    sorry...but

    Quote Originally Posted by Prove It View Post
    (\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b})^2 = ab.

    Your statement will only be true if

    ab = a + b

    0 = a - ab + b

    0 = a(1 - b) + b

    -b = a(1 - b)

    -\frac{b}{1 - b} = a

    \frac{b}{b - 1} = a.


    So your situation will only be true for positive values of a, b so that a = \frac{b}{b - 1}.
    I am sorry. I meant to type (sqrt{a} + sqrt{b})^2 in the original question. Can you show me now?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  5. #5
    MHF Contributor
    Prove It's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11,829
    Thanks
    1602
    (\sqrt{a} + \sqrt{b})^2 = a + 2\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b} + b

     = a + 2\sqrt{ab} + b.


    The statement will be true if

    a + 2\sqrt{ab} + b = a + b

    2\sqrt{ab} = 0

    \sqrt{ab} = 0

    ab = 0.


    This will only happen if one or both of a and b is 0.


    So your equation only holds true for if one or both of a and b is 0.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  6. #6
    MHF Contributor

    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,414
    Thanks
    1853
    Quote Originally Posted by magentarita View Post
    If a and b are positive numbers, explain how the value of
    (sqrt{a}*sqrt{b})^2 compares with the value of a + b.

    I used FOIL and ended up with a + 2(sqrt{ab}) + b, which does not equal a + b.
    You used "foil" on what? Of course, a+ 2sqrt{ab}+ b is not equal to a+ b, why should it be? Were you asked to about (sqrt{a}*sqrt{b})^2 or (sqrt{a}+ sqrt{a})^2? And you weren't asked to show these were equal, only to "compare" them. Which is larger, (sqrt{a}+ sqrt{b})^2 or (a+ b)^2?
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  7. #7
    MHF Contributor
    Joined
    Jul 2008
    From
    NYC
    Posts
    1,489

    the book

    Quote Originally Posted by Prove It View Post
    (\sqrt{a} + \sqrt{b})^2 = a + 2\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b} + b

     = a + 2\sqrt{ab} + b.


    The statement will be true if

    a + 2\sqrt{ab} + b = a + b

    2\sqrt{ab} = 0

    \sqrt{ab} = 0

    ab = 0.


    This will only happen if one or both of a and b is 0.


    So your equation only holds true for if one or both of a and b is 0.
    The question is asking to compare. After using FOIL, I saw that a + 2(sqrt{ab}) + b is > than a + b, which is the book's answer.
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum