Results 1 to 2 of 2

Math Help - Algebra questions part 3

  1. #1
    SMl
    SMl is offline
    Newbie
    Joined
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4

    Algebra questions part 3

    Need Help! Would like To know How to solve these..... Would like to know step by step(formula)

    Numerical Skills/Prealgebra


    10. If the total cost of x apples is b cents, what is a general formula for the cost, in cents,
    of y apples?
    A. b/xy
    B. x/by
    C. xy/b
    D. by/x
    E. bx/y


    11. On a math test, 12 students earned an A. This number is exactly 25% of the total number of students in the class. How many students are in the class?
    A. 15
    B. 16
    C. 21
    D. 30
    E. 48


    12. This year, 75% of the graduating class of Harriet Tubman High School had taken at least 8 math courses. Of the remaining class members, 60% had taken 6 or 7 math courses. What percent of the graduating class had taken fewer than 6 math courses?
    A. 0%
    B. 10%
    C. 15%
    D. 30%
    E. 45%
    Last edited by mr fantastic; April 29th 2009 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Moved from original thread
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

  2. #2
    Senior Member chella182's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    267
    Question 10... The answer to this would be \frac{b}{x}\times y. Dividing the cost by the number of apples x works out the cost per single apple. Then multiplying this value by y gives the cost of y apples.

    For question 11, since 25% is a quarter of 100%, 12 students must be a quarter of the class. So to calculate the size of the class, simply do 12\times 4=48.

    Question 12... Okay, I'm not good at explaining things like this, and I'm not even sure my answer's right. All I did was 0.25 \times 0.6=0.15 (this calculates the proportion of the graduating class that took 6 or 7 courses i.e. 15%), then I added this to the ones who did 8 or more maths courses, so 75% + 15% = 90%, meaning the remaining 10% must do fewer than 6 maths courses. So the answer's 10% I think.
    Last edited by mr fantastic; April 29th 2009 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Moved from original thread
    Follow Math Help Forum on Facebook and Google+

Similar Math Help Forum Discussions

  1. Inductive Questions, final algebra part
    Posted in the Discrete Math Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 15th 2009, 08:02 PM
  2. Questions part 1
    Posted in the Calculus Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 9th 2009, 07:06 AM
  3. Algebra questions part 1
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 29th 2009, 02:07 PM
  4. Algebra questions part 2
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 29th 2009, 02:07 PM
  5. Questions part 1
    Posted in the Algebra Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: January 11th 2009, 05:52 PM

Search Tags


/mathhelpforum @mathhelpforum